~Chapter 16~

"I'm almost finished girl I just have one more braid to go."

It was Saturday evening and Naila was listening to the Jacksons' singing tapes while Janet braided her hair. The Jacksons' invited her over for a family dinner, one she simply could not refuse. This had been where Naila was spending majority of her time since her and Michael's rekindling. She was just like another addition to the family.

Janet has been hogging her for most of her visits only giving Michael about an hour with Naila, but it was only fair. Ever since Janet left their school the only time she could see Naila or spend time with Naila was at each other's houses.

"Take your time Jan I'm here for the rest of the evening. Up until you guys kick me out," Naila states in jest.

"Then I guess you'll be spending the night and staying in my room."

Naila agrees to the invitation wanting to spend as much time as possible with Janet before it's time for her to head off to Howard. The thought alone made her drift off into a space of worry. All of her worry came from the thought of having to live life, away from her sister and home... blind. She knew college was nothing like what she had to experience her first three years of high school. But, she also knew that it would be hard to navigate through such a big school like Howard.

"What you thinking about girl?" Janet questions, making Naila slightly jump out of her thoughts.

"Just college stuff and how much I'm about to miss you and the family. I've grown so close to you guys this past month that I couldn't see us being apart."

Janet sighs, hugging Naila from behind. "I will miss you the most out of everyone here no matter how many times they try to convince you otherwise." They both laugh before Janet gets serious again. "But seriously, you're like a sister to me and the relationship we've formed is one that I cherish more than anything."

"Jan don't make me get emotional," Naila whines feeling the tears start to well up. "We're not even close to the date yet anyways. I still have prom and graduation."

"You're right about that but you brought it up not me," Janet jokes nudging Naila's shoulder. "Besides, you left out homecoming."

"All for a great purpose," Naila shrugs. "I'm not going."

"That's a great purpose? You're missing homecoming for what exactly?"

"I don't want to go and no one is convincing me otherwise. I gave everyone an ultimatum. Homecoming or Prom and everyone, being Sierra, Michael and Crystal chose Prom," Naila clarifies, not missing a beat. "Plus homecoming is next weekend and I don't have a dress or anything."

Janet continues with her braiding, finishing up with the last one. "Thats fair I guess, but you do know that Michael wants to go right? He loves doing those types of things."

Naila frowns, wondering what that had to do with her. She speaks up, giggling from confusion, "Jan I'm not stopping Michael from going anywhere. That's definitely a discussion he should be having with Amelia."

"Amelia?" Janet guffaws following it with a playful scoff. "Girl they broke up like last week."

"Oh? Good," Naila mumbles then quickly places her hand over her mouth. When she takes it down she quickly says, "I meant oh that's sad."

Janet just smiles to herself, knowing Naila's initial response was one of genuine feelings. She also knew that in a matter of time the two lovebirds will finally be together. Only time and however long they decide to keep their feelings from each other, will tell.

"Alright Nani I am finished with your hair," she says, leaning back to examine her work. "I did a pretty damn good job for my first time on someone else."