Chapter 21

The second the quinjet touched down the team scattered. Pietro rushed ahead of everyone to gather hands to assist the evacuation. His sudden appearance inside the reception area of the town's police station startled those that lounged about in chairs or behind the main desk.

"We are under attack!" the Enhancement shouted. "Clear the city, now!" The young man left just as quickly as he came.

However, no one lifted a finger to take the statement seriously. The men went about their business till Pietro appeared again sporting an annoyed expression and a semi-automatic. A barrage of gunfire littered the ceiling. Men ducked from the noise, doors being thrown open down halls to figure out what was going on. Their own weapons were drawn out of reflex. Those in the reception area stared at Pietro wide eyed and slack jawed when the room went quiet.

"Get off your asses," he ordered.

The young man tossed the gun into the arms of a startled police officer and disappeared. But this time the Enhancement had the entire station at his back.

Wanda reached out with her abilities into the homes of thousands of civilians. Whatever they were doing became a fleeting memory. All that mattered was to get out. Leave Sokovia. By any means necessary. Anya released her mirages into the streets to guide those that spilled out of the buildings. Some climbed into cars, slowly making their way to the outskirts among the crowds. Steve stationed himself at one of the bridges, Clint moving further in to help any stragglers. It didn't matter which way they went. As long as the people distanced themselves from Sokovia.

On the mountain overlooking the city, Thor and Bruce infiltrated the castle. Both expected to be met with force. Almost on a level from when HYDRA once occupied the territory. However, no one was there. No guards along the perimeter, no henchmen inside the many halls, no alarms, nothing. As if Ultron moved out. They walked through the room where Tony found Doctor List attempting to erase all data and then passed through the opening in the wall at the back. Thor and Bruce made their way down the stairs to find a massive hole in the floor, a tight walkway along the edge that stretched all the way around. The Asgardian went one way and the scientist went the other. The god descended further underground to find Ultron's operation. While Bruce kept an eye out for their missing teammate's location.

Steve attempted to get the civilians to move faster. However, the team clearly underestimated the number of people they needed to evacuate within their limited timeframe. The police were doing the best they could. Their presence showed how serious this matter was. And they were lucky to have Anya's Aether laced mirages to physically assist families who had small children and elderly. Yet it didn't seem to be enough.

"How are we looking?" Steve called over to the young woman.

"We need more time," was his answer.

Bruce grew worried the further he went. There were no robots, despite him being on high alert. There were no signs of Natasha, even when he checked every nook and cranny. He began to worry that Ultron moved her. The fight above could start any minute now. Remaining undetected behind enemy lines was thrown out the window. He chanced running into a hidden henchman and began to call out Natasha's name. It took nearly five minutes, though felt like a lifetime, before he finally received an answer. The assassin sat jailed behind a locked, thick metal gate in small quarters. He felt instant relief from the sight of her appearing to be unharmed, but it could be a farce. The woman was good at hiding things.

"Are you alright?" Bruce asked.

"Yeah," she answered. Words couldn't even begin to describe how happy the woman was seeing him.