Chapter 1

The blare of the orange warning light spun overhead and filled the cabin making it difficult to hear anything else. Staring towards the temporarily closed hatch, those still on board held onto the overhead straps for stability. The turbulence a bit rough outside from the overcast weather. Though in all honesty it acted as a blessing since it gave them cover for an aerial strike, while the rest of their forces caused damage on the ground. Create a distraction to defuse the situation. This mission was supposed to be an in and out job where the target wouldn't even know of their coming. But that all went out the window when the enemy discovered their movements forcing the Avengers to fight out in the open. And recon reports on the targeted facility hadn't accounted for the number of guards and soldiers that swarmed the surrounding area.

Bruce shifted nervously from foot to foot in the back of the jet. About to leap from the platform thousands of feet up in the air to join the ground forces. It was the fastest way to bring out the other guy when a hand firmly clasped his shoulder.

"Are you alright, my friend?" Thor wondered loudly over the noise.

He took up the empty spot beside the scientist, who gave an unconvincing grin.

"Perfect, couldn't be better," he spoke sarcastically.

"Lighten up, Banner," Tony spoke from behind. "You got this. Just like we practiced."

"This isn't a simulation, Tony."

The man shrugged. "Well, the fact that the big green guy hasn't been trying to harm us anymore intentionally is a good sign, I would say. Besides, he'll be more concerned with those shooting at him."

Bruce sighed, and pinched the bridge of his nose between the fingers in mild annoyance. Why did he agree to this in the first place? He should have insisted harder to stay on the jet and try acting as a pilot. Instead, the billionaire went ahead and added the near flawless auto pilot feature to the model so no one needed to actually fly it in their absence.

Recently, it became more of the norm to involve the other guy into their missions. The rest of the team appeared to accept this. The only one still wary was Bruce. Because in his mind the Hulk possessed an unpredictable nature at times. He wasn't supposed to be involved today. But given the situation that unfolded minutes ago it turned into a last-minute decision to drop him onto the front lines. What HYDRA began to build on their bases in the last year that the team shut down systematically had become stronger and more deadly. Their weapons were enhanced more so than ever before, and now here in Sokovia, J.A.R.V.I.S. picked up on flying robots. Something new added into the mix. Ones that almost resembled an Iron Man suit, but didn't have a person inside controlling them. The Avengers already on the ground needed more manpower.

"We're getting close!" Tony called out. "Hanger opening!"

The platform shifted as it disengaged from the lock allowing light to spill inside. The freezing air hit them head on, but they expected the chill since it was the middle of winter in Sokovia. They finally managed to track Loki's scepter taken nearly a year ago by HYDRA. Their leader, Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, was already known throughout every intelligence agency around the world from his involvement in the Black Market and illegal arms deals. But he rose to fame from the attack and infiltration of his agents in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s headquarters. Nearly killed Director Fury in the process. That's when they realized HYDRA, a group discovered in the 1940s during WWII and thought to have been destroyed thanks to Steve, managed to thrive underground. In secret they operated under the radar. The attack on S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters was their way to prove that they never went away. Since then, the Avengers went after their facilities wherever they popped up and recovered dangerous items in their possession. Strucker was bold, sly, and vicious from his determination to get what he wanted. Which is why it had been so difficult to pinpoint the man's exact location. Always one step ahead. This time, however, they finally found him. Strucker stood in the latest HYDRA stronghold, which is why the team didn't back down despite the risk, the vast forest looming below the three men, covered in snow.