Chapter 11

The team were on edge as they moved across the vast stretch of barren land. Though all had complete faith in Anya's abilities, they hadn't been fully reassured based on her statement that this new development of her gift was still experimental. Even Tony didn't try making a joke about the situation when the shadow of the ship covered them. So far, no alarms sounded to their approach. Clint quietly readied his arrows in case they ran into a hiccup. But the guards didn't even realize what passed under their noses. Natasha and Steve stealthy removed the men at the entrance, the only ones they needed to worry about at the start of this infiltration.

Finally, they were inside. Anya began to let up on her concentration allowing the mirage that surrounded the team to fall away. Swaying slightly, a firm hand gripped at a hip to keep the young woman steady. Thor searched for any sign of the Aether before the others could see and she gave a small grateful smile. Nothing. Not even in her eyes.

"Well done, Anya," Steve praised.

"Anytime, Cap," she gave a mock salute.

"You alright to carry on?"

"Just give me a minute. I'll catch up."

With a nod they began to separate to cover ground since the ship was huge. The god hesitated to leave her side, but she ushered him along. If any of them found Ultron, they would need his strength to go against whatever host he found. The young woman recovered out of sight to not leave herself vulnerable. Though her illusion didn't cover a large area the concentration it took to be sure nothing faltered made her exhausted. Still, there was a mission to complete. She didn't have the luxury to remain here hidden away behind the pipes. Anya collected herself for a few more seconds before melding into the shadows.

Ulysses wasn't in his office. And most of the workers they anticipated to be moving about on various black arms deals were nowhere in sight. As if they scattered into the metal work like when cockroaches were disturbed.

"I've got eyes on Ultron," Natasha spoke into the earpiece. "He's not alone."

"Where?" Steve asked.

They tracked the target to the center of the ship where the walls were the thickest. Where some of their securest holds lie. One of them sat open as Ultron inspected a canister filled with vibranium. Steve and Thor crept across the walkway behind the target, the agents remaining in the shadows as backup. Tony waited somewhere in the rafters looking on. Despite the fact two henchmen flanked Ulysses, Anya was certain one command would have others revealing themselves. And Ultron brought the Maximoff twins. Though at the moment something caught the young woman's attention. Even from her distance.

"When did he get... larger?" Anya whispered into the microphone.

Unlike the decrepit host Ultron acquired from the Legion in the tower, this one appeared new. An intricate array of state-of-the-art mechanics. He looked like a sentinel, standing nearly ten feet in height towering over Ulysses and his workers. It wouldn't be easy penetrating his outer armor using mere bullets.

The enemy further proved his newfound strength when something Ulysses said set the robot off. Gripping the dealer's arm, the machine sliced the opposite arm down, completely severing off the man's limb above the elbow. Anya's eyes widened in horror at the sight. The criminal fell to the ground in pain and shock gripping at the stump. Some blood trickled down the hand clutching at the area, but thankfully he wasn't bleeding out. Ultron's attack managed to cauterize the wound. Which also meant he was able to heat up the metal armor to cut through any surface cleanly.

"Don't compare me with Stark!" Ultron shouted.

He kicked the arms dealer in the chest, and the man went tumbling down a set of stairs out of sight. His henchmen ran after swiftly, not wishing to stick around. The robot sounded like a child throwing a temper tantrum, irritated by whatever the man in question suggested.