Chapter 32

Talking to Heimdall the next morning did offer some relief. The gatekeeper had nothing to report in regards to the fire demon in question, though reassured the prince he'd keep an eye out if anything developed. Especially after the conversation when Wanda messed with his mind and the vision came to pass. Anya was glad to hear that for the time being, they had nothing to worry about. Though another issue presented itself that the two needed to address.

"When do you want to start inquiring about the other stones?" the agent wondered.

A part of the Asgardian wished that they could just enjoy their time in Norway. To not think about something bigger at work behind the scenes, which caused these powerful objects to surface.

"Sooner than I wish," he sighed.

"Where will you look first?"

The Nine Realms was a vast expansion of worlds, each demonstrating their own challenges. The stones could be anywhere.

"I will start in Asgard to find any rumors. Then go from there. I will try to not be gone long."

"I know. But you have a job to do, so don't feel guilty if you are."

He left nearly three weeks later. Anya saw off the god with a hug and a kiss before loading up the truck to take his wooden creations to the market to sell at Jan's stand. She tried to keep busy in the time he was gone. Small trips to towns throughout the country, meditation sessions, training exercises that Sif left her to practice, and brief check-ins from Natasha via call. Eventually, Fury did reach out regarding a job. A simple one for the agents and Wanda for backup. It was the Enhancement's first official mission as an Avenger. The assignment in Turkey didn't go flawlessly when they eliminated a smaller HYDRA base. A few hiccups were bound to happen, yet that didn't mean they weren't unsuccessful. At least there was no further need to worry about the weapons facility. Anya parted ways before they returned to New York.

"I'm still waiting on that invitation," the redhead pointed out.

"I promise I haven't forgotten. Thor left to hunt down for clues to the stones off world. When he's back, a date will be set."

"Alright, I'm patient."

"How's Nathaniel?"

The woman's grin widened. "He's adorable. And growing by the day."

No questions were directed at Bruce. If there was anything to report Natasha would've been the one to speak up about it. Better to leave that issue buried for the time being.

A cold front moved in out of nowhere when Anya returned home. It caused the young woman to light the fireplace to keep the home warm most days. When the weather stuck longer than anticipated she began to dig into the winter clothing packed away and the pile of firewood outside. In turn, logs were purchased from town to keep the stock balanced, only for her to chop them into pieces once home. It'd been a while since she needed to do this kind of work. When Thor came to live with the young woman, he'd taken up the task because he enjoyed it.

One morning, Anya woke at the crack of dawn. Without the fire lit downstairs, a chill lingered in the air. She shrugged into one of Thor's button-up flannel shirts and rolled up the sleeves a bit to make use of both hands, while the hem reached mid-thigh. Only wearing a pair of underwear underneath. To protect the feet from the cold wood floors wool socks also joined the attire. Padding her way down the stairs to the first level she decided this morning was a good one to finish off the book she'd been reading. She lit the fireplace, prepared a hot cup of tea, and grabbed a blanket from the back of the couch. Moving towards the bookcase, she leaned over to look through the titles on the covers to find the one she searched for. The agent pulled the item free and turned to plop down onto cushions only to yelp in surprise.