Chapter 4

The familiar lights of the Avengers Tower loomed in the distance when the jet descended from the clouds. J.A.R.V.I.S. already prepped the landing pad for their arrival, and Maria Hill stood waiting by the entrance. She wasn't alone. Dr. Cho waited, flanked by her team to help transport their patient. Upon landing, Natasha already detached the bed from the wall, turning it into a mobile gurney to roll Clint towards the hatch. The aircraft powered down and the platform lowered. Anya took the front of the bed to help move down the incline, the assassin at the back. They greeted Dr. Cho along the way as she began to follow. Natasha handed over the charts from the jet that monitored him for the woman to analyze. Meanwhile, Agent Hill boarded, setting her sights on the billionaire getting up from the seat in the cockpit.

"The lab is all set up, boss," she stated.

"Oh, actually, he's the boss," Tony answered, pointing to the Captain. With a smirk, and a shake of the head Steve knew what was coming out of the man's mouth before even saying it, "I just pay for everything and design everything and make everyone look cooler."

"What's the word on Strucker?" Steve asked. Before the man could go on.

"NATO's got him," she answered.

"The two Enhanced?"

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins."

The woman handed over the screen in her grasp, showing imagines and case files on the two individuals in question. A video of them from a few years prior showed their involvement at a protest within Sokovia.

"Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building."

She swiped the video away revealing images of the destruction from the incident.

"Sokovia has a rough history. It's nowhere special, but it's on the way to everywhere special."

The two left the aircraft to head towards the elevator inside. All members were looking to remove their uniforms and relax for the first time in a long while.

"Their abilities?" Steve questioned.

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neuroelectronic interfacing, telekinesis, and mental manipulation." Steve looked lost, the agent clarifying, "He's fast and she's weird."

With a nod his attention turned back to the screen to get one last look at the twins, "Make sure the others get a copy of them. They're gonna show up again," and handed it back to Maria. Pushing the button on the wall, the bell dinged a moment later as the doors opened.

"Agreed. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts."

"Right." The super soldier entered the cab, Maria staying behind to do a detail check on the jet to close out the reports. "What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?"

The comment caused the woman to smirk. "We're not at war, Captain."

"They are." And the doors closed between them.

Inside, the billionaire watched from a window while his Iron Legion returned from Sokovia. They looked a bit worse for wear. The civilians definitely made it clear they didn't approve of their involvement in the streets, one suit barely making it in. From below his feet one could see the machines begin to repair the damage as Bruce walked inside the room.

"How's he doing?" the scientist asked.

"Unfortunately, he's still Barton," Tony quipped.