Chapter 2

Anya ran across the snow with calculated footsteps. A bunker sat up ahead at the base of a small hill that she wanted to take out, trying to remain as quiet as possible. Despite the noise around them her voice would give away her position, having heard Natasha's cry for help. She couldn't stop her trajectory just yet. The young woman cleared the edge to dispose of the three men inside easily. Taking a grenade, she left it behind to destroy the larger energy gun and descended the hill on the opposite side.

Now able to find her teammates, she was about to ask where they were, when the air left her lungs. The young woman's back slammed into the snow, hard, causing her to gasp for breath. A figure came into focus at her feet. It was a male, a few years younger than herself. He smirked down at the agent in a taunting manner.

"You didn't see that coming?"

His accent was Sokovian, silver hair with dark brown roots looking windblown from his quick movements. Obviously, they were on opposing sides of this fight. Though he wasn't wearing the standard HYDRA uniform, dressed in a dark blue tracksuit with white and neon green accents. He looked so normal. Could even be mistaken for an innocent civilian from Sokovia. If it weren't for the smug glint in his eyes that he had bested another member of the Avenger team.

His arrogant expression deflated when the figure suddenly shimmered before disappearing in a handful of red wisps. With narrowed brows, his foot kicked at the once occupied area to find nothing there. But there were no footsteps leading away from the imprint in the snow to show Anya retreated. The Enhancement's head swiveled around to try to locate her position without success. Where did she go?

The target, meanwhile, stood fifty yards away. Anya's back pressed against the tree trunk where she hid, listening for his movements. What attacked Clint and Steve did indeed have a solid form. It was just difficult to see him due to his incredible speed. She hated to admit it impressed her a bit and understood why the other two teammates experienced difficulty dealing with him. How could they fight something four times faster than their own bodies, even if they possessed enhanced abilities themselves? At least without warning to what they were up against.

Head turning, the agent chanced a glance out from behind the tree to see if the young man left. He was no longer present when her senses began to alarm. The Enhancement appeared on the side of the tree, a shadow looming in a threatening manner. With wide eyes, Anya's head whirled around as his fist came towards her face in a blur. The intention to knock her unconscious clear. But the enemy's fist passed right through her form and disappeared upon contact. The knuckles slammed into the bark instead.

A hiss escaped his lips, drawing back his hand, which now sported a few scratches. He shook it out from the stinging sensation that followed. Another illusion. It frustrated him that this member of the Avengers seemed to be so evasive. The other two he came across had been so easy–

Something hit the back of his head, hard enough for the young man to fall forward to a knee clutching the injury. Glancing back, it was the damn agent again. But this one held a baton in hand as a weapon. Anya knew guns wouldn't be able to keep up with his speed. Hand-to-hand combat was the only option. Even if an outcome in her favor seemed impossible.

"You didn't see me coming?" she taunted back.

Though angry he couldn't help but smirk at the jab. Lunging forward to deliver another punch the young woman shifted away feeling the breeze of the attack brush against a cheek. But unlike a normal human she'd fight against where they needed a moment to recover before another hit, his other fist came around just as quickly. Anya fell backwards to the ground on purpose to avoid the next attack overhead. She rolled back and then sprung up to both feet with the help of her bent back palms. The baton swung out, but it missed. He easily moved around her, which was to be expected. Twisting around the Enhancement disappeared from Anya's view and the young woman bent over. His upper body passed by, having tried to clothesline the agent without success. The position allowed Anya to catch sight of his foot for a moment. It gave the young woman a split second to extend the arm that held the weapon and tripped him up.