Chapter 27

The super soldier assisted Anya to a seat, asking if she was in need of treatment, only to be waved off. "Help the others," she managed.

There were those injured from Ultron's assault who were in worse shape. He did as told and left her side. The young woman's head tilted back with her eyes squeezed shut to push away the lingering effects of the Aether. She found little to no success from the action. Heavy breaths left her lips, while a hand clutched at the uniform.

"Work with me here," she muttered aloud. Despite the exhaustion from the overuse of the dark matter, it strained to remain on high alert. In case another attempt on the host's life came about.

"Agent Fredrickson, do you need medical treatment?" an agent questioned.

She took a moment before addressing him, "I'm afraid the issue isn't physical, Agent Bejo." He became a bit taken back from the young woman's red eyes. "I'm sure someone is worse off. Don't worry about me."

The man gave a hesitant nod and turned to another patient.

Steve, from his vantage point a few steps from the platform, looked out over the vacant courtyard. Finally, there was no one else to rescue. The impossible feat to save every Sokovian on this rock had been accomplished. Now it was up to Tony and Thor to destroy the threat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Among the mound of henchmen destroyed in their failed attempt to reach the drill, one sprung to life. It possessed no lower half, but it had an arm to drag itself forward. Wanda may have ripped out Ultron's 'heart' and assumed the action eliminated the enemy. Vision may have blocked him out of the network to escape Sokovia. However, he still had an insurance plan among his creations. The robot grew closer to the unprotected drill. How foolish they were to think they'd won prematurely. Think they gained the upper hand and bested him. They would see. They would all see in the end. The hand reached up for the handle and turned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve heard the sound of the drill powering down before the effects were felt. He lunged onto the platform of the lifeboat seconds prior to Sokovia dropping out of the sky. The sudden change flattened Tony against the underside. Meanwhile, Thor rushed to chase after the church that dropped in altitude. The super soldier glanced over the edge to watch in trepidation, while the lifeboats quickly activated its boosters to not follow suit. The thrusters throughout the underside of the city turned to change direction before picking up speed.

Tony managed to correct his position, coming to the hole again with his chest plate facing the bottom of the drill. "Thor on my mark!" he shouted over the noise.

The god landed on the dais and held Mjolnir high overhead. Storm clouds gathered, lightning dancing across the surface to charge the weapon to full power.

With the city falling at such a rapid rate it caused objects not tethered to the ground and debris to lift off the ground. Among the remnants of the city was Wanda in the bus alongside Ultron's corpse. From the shock that came from the death of her brother she hadn't tried to protect herself from the oncoming danger by making it to the lifeboats. But a part of her felt content with this decision. Pietro wouldn't be alone in the afterlife.

Through the rubble, a shadow emerged. A hand pressed against the young woman's lower back, and startled her. Her head turned to find Vision came to her rescue. It should've come as no surprise that he knew she remained in the city. An arm hooked under both legs in a bridal style fashion to support Wanda and hers wrapped around his neck. Without hesitation they abandoned the tram and left Sokovia far behind them.