Chapter 28

It took three days for the Asgardian to regain consciousness. And a lot changed in that time. One was an executive decision to relocate the Avengers' headquarters to upstate New York. There an old base sat collecting dust since the sixties, when it'd been abandoned by the founders of S.H.I.E.L.D. The whole facility wasn't quite up and running just yet, but it was good enough to start. Another change came in the form of many acquaintances, partners, and friends that arrived by the droves. Called to join the initiative permanently. S.H.I.E.L.D. expand operations on a global scale like never before.

When Thor opened his eyes, he didn't expect to be staring up a white ceiling. Or dressed in a hospital gown. It reminded him of the first time he arrived on Earth during his banishment. When Jane hit him with her car, her team took him to the emergency room. But this wasn't a hospital. Not from the view outside his window. There was a stretch of green grass and a forest a few feet away. There were even agents walking around on paths in groups or minding their own business. However, they had no idea they were being watched. Not from the one-way window to give patients in the medical wing privacy.

A weight rested on the side of the mattress, which drew his attention. Anya smiled at him and took one of his hands into her grasp. She wore civilian clothing, hair braided to one side so it fell over a shoulder. Any trace from the Battle of Sokovia was gone. Her skin looked healthier now in color, the Aether nowhere in sight.

"Hey, stranger," she greeted.

Thor gave a smile, squeezing her hand. "How long have I been asleep?" he asked groggily.

"Three days."

That was a long time for him. "Ultron?"

"He's dead. Vision confirmed it."

"Good."

The young woman bent down to kiss his forehead. The gash healed nicely, only a pink line in place to show it was in the final stages. "You experienced a good knock to the head."

"Have you been my nurse?" he teased.

Anya laughed. "In a sense." After a brief pause, the agent added, "I talked to Fury."

"And?"

"Got a bit of a scolding for keeping something this... otherworldly under wraps here on Earth. Within S.H.I.E.L.D. But he accepted it. After a demonstration and some quality time together. He's glad that the Aether, the part that's inside me, is on our side. With everything that's been unearthing itself as of late an ace is a good thing to have. To help the team."

She took a moment, absentmindedly running her thumb back and forth across his skin. The young woman always did this when she became lost in thought.

"Are you comfortable with this?" the god wondered. "To work in the field alongside the Aether openly."

A weight may have been lifted off their shoulders to no longer keep the dark matter a secret, but now that it was out... The Asgardian didn't want the Aether to be overused.

"Yes," she answered honestly. "I know my limits. But I need to train more than ever. It's weaponized itself in new ways since going up against Ultron and his henchmen. I'll need to understand it more to add it to my arsenal. Practice."

"Here?"

"I was thinking of somewhere more homely."

Thor liked the sound of that. "How soon do you wish to leave?"

"When you're ready. One step at a time, God of Thunder. I'm in no rush."

He hummed in agreement. She still appeared to be bothered by something. "What else is on your mind?"