Chapter 22

Buildings began to crack and crumble from the tremors. They caved in on themselves or toppled into the streets. The mirages began to take matters into their own hands from the panicked signal the host gave off. People were shoved out of the way before sections of buildings impacted against the ground. The fakes took the hit, disappearing in a burst of red. Though those destroyed reformed soon after. Every mirage worked double time, which caused a noticeable red aura to surround the host.

Shouts drew Anya's attention. The edge of Sokovia began to give way without support to fall towards the Earth below. Some civilians were too close when they ran to escape the new threat. Not swift enough or tripped over their feet in haste. The dark matter gathered around the agent and rushed in the direction of the edge. It caught those ready to go over, tossing or dragging them closer to stable ground. One woman cried from relief that she was alive when a stranger ran to help her stand. The Aether pulled back to coil around the young woman's form when she watched multiple robots hone in on her location. One dive bombed Anya, the agent flipping over the machine when it passed. The Aether shot down at the exact moment the robot moved underneath, broke through the chest plate to latch on, and then threw the suit into a wall. The impact shattered the henchman instantly. Anya landed, throwing out a hand in the direction of the other robots that attempted to gain the upper hand. The Aether shrieked as it rolled over the enemy. None of them stood a chance.

When there was no more metal within reach, the young woman paused. Her eyes narrowed on the machines that stayed at a distance. The dark matter made a noise in her ear. That it was ready to consume more suits to fuel its power. The enemy's hesitance didn't comfort her.

What were they waiting for?

"Do you see?" Ultron's voice echoed. It caused the team to glance around to figure out where it came from. "The beauty of it." The master spoke through his henchmen for every corner of Sokovia to hear his words. "The inevitability. You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor. My swift and terrible sword. And the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me."

In irritation, Clint fired an arrow into the eye socket of a suit causing it to fall to the ground. Yet another took its place.

"It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the castle, it felt like an earthquake took place. Chunks of rock began to crack off along the edges of the room, and metal beams came crashing to the ground due to the lack of supports. Bruce and Natasha grew closer to the exit hand in hand, finding it hard not to stumble at times from the tremors. They still had to take the small path around the edge of the massive hole in the ground with only a small railing for protection.

"We gotta move," Bruce said. He worried that whatever was occurring above would cut off their only means for an escape.

"You're not gonna turn green?" Natasha wondered.

"I've got a compelling reason not to lose my cool."

The woman smiled. "I adore you."

Taking a leap, the assassin closed the distance between them. Their lips connected in a passionate kiss and the scientist felt over the moon. He accepted the action without hesitation and closed his eyes. It was everything he thought of and more. When they parted, the man found himself a bit breathless. Which is why he failed to realize the assassin's alternative plan. She wanted to run away with Bruce. But the woman needed to stay and fight alongside the others. Natasha would never forgive herself if she left the Avengers behind. Her hands rested on the scientist's chest and a quick shove had him falling backwards. His confusion showed clearly. There was no possible way for him to catch himself. Bruce disappeared out of sight.