Chatty Cathy's

Beth checked her appearance in the bathroom mirror one last time before heading out. It's the second day of her vacation and Jenny had planned a spa day for her and the other bridesmaids. They were going to have some healthy and organic spa food brunch, get massages, have a facial and mani -pedis. Definitely a pampering kind of day. She only put on a white tank top and some knee length denim shorts since she figured she would be in a fluffy robe all day at the spa. She fixed her ponytail, grabbed her sunglasses, and inserted her key card into her back pocket. She had just opened the door when a now familiar handsome face greeted her.

"Good morning! Coffee?" he stretched his arm out and handed her a paper cup.

"Thanks. And good morning to you, too. How did you know where I was?" she asked as she took a sip of her coffee.

"I twisted Jenny's arm. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all. The coffee makes up for it," she smiled.

"Mukhang may lakad ka? Where's the fire?" he said as he fell into step with her, heading in the direction of the resort spa.

"Ah. Magpapapamper daw ang mga girls. We'll be at the spa all day."

"I see. I was going to invite you to breakfast sana. Sayang. How about tonight? My treat for din..."

"Oh, here we are," she interrupted Jake as she threw away her paper cup in a nearby trash bin. "Thanks again for the coffee and see ya when I see ya. Bye!"

"Bye!"

Jake shook his head and smiled as he watched Beth scurrying to the spa entrance. She is deliberately avoiding going on a date with him, he thought to himself. "Alright, new strategy. She seems okay to be alone with me when it's activities that aren't so intimate. Scratch a romantic, candlelit dinner. I think I know how to get her to go out with me.". He whistled a tune and headed towards the beach.

***

"Ladies! Ladies!" Jenny exclaimed, getting everyone's attention after finishing their brunch. "You have no idea how grateful I am that you all have accepted to be a part of my special day! As a thank you, I am footing the bill on this one." She winked and laughed. "Okay, daddy is footing the bill on this one," she corrected, to everyone's laughter. She picked up a flute of cucumber mint sparkling water and gestured for everyone to do the same. "A toast! To the greatest group of friends a girl could ask for! Cheers!"

Jenny clinked glasses with everybody and they all took a sip. Beth watched in amusement. "So this is how the other half lives," she thought to herself. "No wonder they all have perfect hair and perfect skin and perfect bodies...they don't have anything to worry about except for how to be even more perfect and how to spend daddy's money they have too much of." She shook her head to clear those thoughts. Jenny was rich, yes, but she has shown nothing but kindness and love to her even though they were on opposite spectrums of the social scale. She silently apologized to all the girls for her malicious thoughts. She had no right to judge them, after all. It's not their fault they were born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

Alicia, one of the four other bridesmaids, broke her thoughts and approached her. "Beth, right? So. We were just curious. Do you and Jake have something going right now?"

Beth almost choked on her water at the surprising question."What? No...what gave you that idea? I'm not interested in him in that way. Maybe we just met under funny circumstances and bonded, that's all."

"Really?" Abby, another bridesmaid, questioned. "Well, he is so into you! I would be so jealous of you right now if not for the fact that the two of you actually make a really cute couple! It's like we're watching a real, live soap opera with you two."

"Well, don't read too much into it. He's just being a gentleman. He must feel really guilty about the football incident still. I've already told him he's been forgiven," she laughed uncomfortably. She didn't like having the spotlight on her.

"But he's so yummy! " Alicia again. "Are you sure you're not even a teensy bit attracted to him? Just say the word and I will be ready to pounce on him, all dirty, scandalous bridesmaid wedding sex in the bathroom-style!"

Beth blushed at Alicia's words. She may have been with Alex for a year and a half, but they have never gotten past making out. She still had her v-card. She just hasn't been ready and really wanted to wait until they were married. Alex had been perfect and understanding and wanted the same thing she did. He said there was no rush. That they had forever.

"You and your potty mouth! But seriously, Beth, we're just backing off because we are classy and we don't chase after men," Abby cheekily said. "I say you hold on to him! Take a chance! Don't let this hooker steal him from you," she pointed at Alicia and laughed.

"Hey! I'm just being honest!" Alicia fake pouted like she was offended at Abby's words and giggled. "I agree. Take a chance. Even if it's just a fling. Have your cake and eat it too."

Thankfully, Jenny walked over to them and saved her from further embarrassment. "Ladies, the mud packs are ready. Let's go?" Jenny let Alicia and Abby go ahead and pulled Beth aside.

"You okay? What were you guys talking about?"

"Jake. Just about how "yummy" he is. Jen, they can have him. I don't want to start any trouble. This whole week is about you and Pete and your wedding and..."

"Hey! Sister, no one asked you to explain to the judge! They can be loud mouthed chatty Cathy's, but they mean well. They weren't harassing you, were they?"

"No, nothing like that. Alam mo naman na hindi ko kayang makipagsabayan sa mga ganung topics. But they were being friendly. Yun nga, I just hope they don't hate me just because they are interested in Jake."

"Did they say anything?"

"No. They even said we looked cute together."

"Because you do!" "Jenny shook her best friends arm. "Don't worry about them. They don't run out of men going after them. Jake only has eyes for you. I've never seen him like that. Don't think I haven't noticed."

"Jen," Beth gave an exasperated sigh.

"I'm not saying you have to like him because you feel pressured, but all I see is a big smile on your face whenever you're around him. Beth, maybe this is a sign to move on. Alex would want you to. He would not want you to chain yourself to the past. He would want you to be happy."

"I don't know..."

"Okay. Let's just forget about it. Let's just enjoy today. Just keep an open mind, okay?"

"Okay," Beth conceded.

"Just go with the flow. Tara na. Our mud packs await us!" And with that, Beth let Jenny guide her away from her troubling thoughts.