Settling Into the New Normal

"Hi, Beth, can I ask you a favor?" Nick asked Beth over the phone.

"Sure, ano yun, Nick?"

"I have this thing kasi eh. This...um...date."

"A date?! Nick!!!" Beth asked him excitedly on the other line.

"Yes, Beth, a date. There, I said it," Nick laughed along with Beth. Her laughter was infectious.

"Do I know her?"

"Maybe. It's Alyssa, one of the moms at Lizzie's school."

"Oh, yes, I know her...Amanda's mom. Yeah, she's pretty! Good choice, Nick!" Beth knew who Nick was referring to. Alyssa was a single mother and also a Filipina, with long dark hair and dark eyes, around the same height as Beth.

"I'm kind of nervous. I haven't been on a date in a while. And the thing is, this could turn serious. We've been talking whenever we would pick up our kids and we've exchanged numbers and texts already."

"Wow, Nick. That's great. She seems nice the few times I've met her around Lizzie's school. I'm happy for you Nick. And no, you haven't asked, but yes, I will babysit Lizzie for you. When's the date?"

"This Friday night. You think Jake won't mind?"

"Nah. Don't worry about him."

"You can bring him over, too, it's not a problem. So you'll be watching both Lizzie and Amanda."

"Yup, the more the merrier."

"Thanks, Beth, you are the best."

"I charge $10 bucks an hour! Per child!" she jested.

"Wow, highway robbery," Nick huffed.

"I'm just kidding, Nick. Have fun! Good luck!"

"Thanks, again, Beth. I'll see you on Friday."

Beth hung up the phone with the goofiest grin on her face. Jake looked at his wife from his seat in front of his laptop where he was working from home. Beth literally skipped to where her husband was sitting and perched on the edge of his desk.

"Ang laki ng ngiti mo, babe ha! Anong meron?" Jake pulled Beth up and sat her on his lap.

"Anong plano mo on Friday, babe?"

"Bakit? Anong plano mo?" he kissed her bare shoulder, biting it and then licking where he bit her.

"Sira, wholesome to, babe. We're going to babysit Lizzie and her friend Amanda on Friday at Nick's house. Nick has a date!"

"Babe, that's good. I mean, I know we have nothing to worry about with him, and he's been a great friend to you and business partner to me, but it's just great to know that he's no longer pining for you, you know? You, Love, are quite the catch, and I'm glad I didn't lose you to him."

"Babe, Nick is a stand up guy. And I, for one, am very glad he's going out on a date! I don't recall him ever going out on a date the five years I lived with him."

"Why go out when you can stay in with the lovely Beth? I wouldn't leave the house and look elsewhere either when I already have the most beautiful girl in the world living with me," Jake teased.

"Babe, ayan ka nanaman. Nambobola pa eh magasawa na nga tayo, eh!" she kissed his cheek. "This will be good practice for you, babe. Ako, sanay na ko sa mga bata. Eh ikaw? Tingnan nga natin kung handa ka ng maging daddy!"

Jake's eyes went wide and he consciously rubbed Beth's tummy. She playfully swatted his hand away and giggled.

"Wala pa pong laman yan. I'm still on the pill. I'm still trying to decide if we should just let nature take it's course and get off the pill now, or wait a little while longer...at least until our wedding date gets closer. Pero babe, practice tayo ng practice, baka nga mabuntis ako agad agad. Ikaw kse, eh!"