More Securely Tying the Knot

Jake and Beth's airplane landed on time at the airport in Manila. They walked hand in hand through customs, Beth proudly showing off her new passport bearing her new name, Elizabeth Santiago Miller. She smiled as the customs officer held up her passport to look at the picture and then looked at her before stamping her passport. Jake chuckled at his wife. He was never going to get over the little things she does that make her so adorable.

Jen shrieked as she spotted them as they exited the airport. Beth pointed at Jenny and smiled at her husband happily. Jenny got out of the car and hugged her friend as Pete and Jake began putting their luggage in the trunk of the SUV.

"Sis! You're here! I'm so glad!" Jenny said excited.

"I know! It's been a long time."

"Let me see that rock!" Jen held up Beth's hand and inspected her ring finger. "Nice one, Jake! Pete, hon, I think I need an upgrade, too!" Jen teased her husband.

"Bro, tingnan mong ginawa mo!" Pete playfully punched Jake on the shoulder.

"Asan ang very cute na inaanak kong si Andy?" Jake asked.

"Nasa bahay ng mga parents ni Pete. Don't worry, we'll invite you for dinner one of these days. Matagal tagal pa naman kayo dito, plenty of time to see Andy," Jen explained. "Beth, in one week, you will be Mrs. Jacob Miller again. Are you ready?"

"More than ready," she said as Jake helped her to the back seat.

"Ikaw, bro, magpapatali ka na ba talaga?"

"Yes! More than ready to be tied down to this beautiful woman. Kung pwede lang nga literally eh, para hindi na to makawala ulit," Jake kissed his wife's forehead.

"Oh geez, you two are beyond cheesy," Jen stuck her tongue out as she looked at them over her shoulder. "Hon, I'm jealous! Why can't you be cheesy?" she flicked Pete's ear.

"Jake, dude, you've been here for like five minutes, and she already wants an upgrade and for me to act like a love sick fool. How long are you guys here for again?" Pete guffawed as he started driving towards the directions of Jake's house.

When Pete pulled up to the driveway, Manong Melvin was standing there waiting for them. He opened the door for the ladies and Beth immediately gave him a hug.

"Manong Melvin! Kamusta po? Si Manang Lourdes?" Beth asked. She missed Jake's old driver and housekeeper tremendously.

"Mabuti naman, anak. Ayun, nasa loob, nagluluto."

"Babe, I'll go ahead. I just want to say hi to Manang Lourdes na," Beth motioned to her husband.

"Sure, babe."

Jake, Pete, and Manong Melvin carried their suitcases inside the house while Jen and Beth went straight to the kitchen where they found the old lady busy cooking something that smelled delicious. Beth ran up to the older woman and enveloped her in a bear hug.

"Manang Lourdes! Na miss ko po kayo! Ang bango naman ng niluluto nyo."

"Hello, anak! Na miss din kita. Ayan, favorite ni Jake...chicken curry," Manang Lourdes said laughingly.

"Oh yes, his all time favorite. I think he can eat that forever if given the choice."

"What? I heard my name. I thought I smelled chicken curry..." Jake walked into the kitchen and gave Manang Lourdes a kiss on the cheek.

"Hello, anak. Ang gwapo pa rin ha...maybe even more. Magaling magalaga si Beth," Manang Lourdes winked at Beth.

"Oo naman po. The best ang wife ko," Jake retorted and pinched the bridge of Beth's nose which she quickly swatted away.