Consenting Adults

Beth stared at Jake for a few moments, her eyes searching his eyes. She had tears in her eyes as she smiled at him. He was looking up at her expectantly as she cupped his face in her hands. She stood up and pulled him up with her. She looked up at him, looking especially small in his too big pajamas. She nodded at him.

"Yes," she said as loudly as she can, finding it difficult since her voice was hoarse.

"Yes?"

"Yes!"

He bent his head down close to hers and looked up into her eyes. He gave her a quick peck on the lips before picking her up, her legs wrapping around his hips and her arms wrapping around his shoulders. He spun her around, him laughing, her giggling.

He pulled away from her so that he can see her face.

"Yes!"

"Yes."

"I love you so much, baby girl."

"I love you, too!"

He started kissing every inch of her face, all the while still carrying her. He slowly moved his lips to her lips, conveying through his kiss all the love and happiness he was feeling at the moment. She returned his kisses with fervor, with equal love and happiness.

"Babe, you can put me down now."

"No, I like holding you like this. I'm just making sure this isn't still just a dream."

"It's not. Can't you feel me? Flesh and bone?"

"I love you so much. I promise, I'll make this right. I'm gonna get you a ring tomorrow!"

"Baby, I'm not in a rush," she laughed at him.

He carried her into the bathroom and sat her on the counter, still standing between her legs. She sat facing him, combing her fingers through his hair as he popped open the foil packet to her medicine and gave her a dose. She took it from him and gulped it down before he carried her again just as before, like a little child, back to their bed. Their bed. He couldn't wait until it was official.

"Babe, you are so good to me. I love you so much."

"Are you feeling better?"

"Yup. Well enough so I can go home later."

"Do you have to?"

"Yes, babe."

"Why?" he whined.

She pinched his nose and laughed.

"My baby is such a baby."

"We're engaged now. Can't you move in yet?"

"Babe."

"Please don't think too much about what other people will think. I am your only family here in Manila. It's only natural for you to stay with me."

"Babe, I have to go home."

"Why?"

"Because I have to get my stuff, don't I?"

Jake's eyes lit up. He let out a whoop of joy and rained kisses on her face again. He picked up her phone and dialed a number. Beth looked at him in confusion.

"Who are you calling?"

He just put his pointer finger over his lips, signaling her to keep quiet. She did as she was told even though she was still really curious. Finally they heard someone say hello on the other line.

"Hi, Jenny? Did I wake you?"

"No, it's fine. What's up? Why do you have Beth's phone? Is she alright?"