Meddling Friends

Jennifer Sandoval was jumping up and down and clapping her hands as soon as she saw her best friend come through the gate.

"Sister! Thank you for coming! I swear you won't regret it! I know you're not yet rea..."

"Anything for you, sister," Beth interrupted. She knows that Jenny already feels guilty for making her her maid of honor at her wedding that is being held at the same resort in Palawan that she and Alex had planned to have their wedding even though she has nothing to feel guilty about. Yes, she is sad until this day, but it was an accident. She has always told Jenny it is not a sin to be happy. In fact, she's happy that Jenny is happy. Someone in the world ought to be happy. She envied happy people...but she just couldn't bring herself to be happy just yet. It has only been a year since Alex's death and she feels it is too soon to move on.

"Sis, it'll be a drive to the resort so just relax. You can take a nap...Lord knows you need sleep! So while we're here for a week, you're not allowed to work, ok? Sleep. Eat. Enjoy. That's all you're allowed to do," Jenny listed and winked at her best friend. "Onga pala. We'll have a welcome dinner for the bridal party tonight at 7 PM. Just casual. We will introduce everyone to everyone. Ang awkward naman ng magkapartner at hindi magkakilala, di ba? Pero like I said, there's no set itinerary, you're free to do whatever. We just need everyone present during official wedding stuff."

"Naku, sis, ha. Alam ko na yan. No funny business," Beth warned.

"Ano ka ba! You're so serious. I promise I won't set you up with anybody. On purpose," Jenny admitted.

"Jenny!"

"What?! Ok, fine. The best man. He's single. Gwapo. Matangkad. Maputi."

"Sounds dangerous."

"Hindi naman. He just asked if there were single ladies and I said my maid of honor was. Yun lang. I didn't even name names, ok? Pero sis, promise, I don't even have to build you up. Ang ganda ganda mo kaya."

"Kaya best friend kita, lakas mo mambola. Pero, Jen, alam mo naman hindi pa ko handa."

"I know. That's why I didn't tell him your name. But you are just his type! Mahilig yun sa mga magaganda! Eh, what's wrong with meeting new friends. Basta. Hindi ko na fault kung mahulog sya sa yo. Or baka naman ikaw mahulog? Uuuuuuy!"

"Hay ewan ko sayo! Baliw ka talaga!"

"Wala pa nga, kinikilig na ko!!!"

"Haaaay ganda talaga ng view dito..."

And with that, Beth managed to steer the conversation away from her lack of a love life. Jenny conceded this one to her friend, but that didn't mean she was going to let this go.

Meanwhile, at the resort, Jacob Miller is already unpacking his suitcase when Peter Garcia, the groom, waltzed into his hotel room.

"Bro! Magpapatali ka na ba talaga?" Jake jokingly asked his college buddy.

"Gago. But to be tied to a beautiful, sweet, sexy woman? Hell yeah. You should try it sometime."

"But there's so many beautiful women, and only one of me. What is a man to do? And who says I haven't been tied before," Jake jokingly told his friend with a guffaw.

"I'm telling you, Jake. This one woman thing is the best feeling in the world. You just haven't met her yet. The one you can't live without. But once you do...I have a feeling you'll be worse than me," Pete chided his friend.

"We shall see, man. We shall see."

Jacob Miller is the only son of a wealthy American businessman and his Filipino fashion designer wife. His father owns several nightclubs, beach clubs, and restaurants all over the world. Because of this, he has always been exposed to the party lifestyle. It's not that Jake is a bad guy; he just loves to party and drink and all that comes along with it. But he has his serious side, too. He would be taking over the family business one day and thus he graduated summa cum laude in business management from a prestigious Ivy League university in the United States. His father wanted him to get his masters degree, but Jake decided to take a couple of years off and manage his father's nightclubs in Manila.

Jake met Pete in college. Pete's family had sent him to study in the US, but eventually move back to the Philippines. Pete was in the middle of jogging when he saw Jenny. Jenny was standing in a corner fishball stand with Beth, happily poking at the fishballs and eating with much gusto. He loved her carefree vibe and immediately introduced himself to her. Suffice it to say, Pete never went back to the US and just finished his studies in the Philippines to be closer to his lady love.

And here they are, two years later, getting ready to exchange vows and start their married lives in 5 days. Pete was still thinking about that fateful day when he got a brilliant idea.

"I got it!"

"You look like the cat that ate the canary. What's that look for, man?"

"Elizabeth Santiago."

"Who?"

"The maid of honor! She is everything you don't look for in a woman. Meaning she'd be perfect for you!"

"Dude, hand over your man card. That was such a woman thing to say," Jake retorted sarcastically.

"Shut up," Pete said while rolling his eyes. "On second thought, never mind. It's probably not a good idea. She might be too much of a challenge for you...I mean, it's gonna take more than your good looks to get her. She's been through a lot the past year. Probably not looking for a rebound guy."

"And I'm not looking for a woman with baggage or looking to be some bitter woman's rebound guy."

But Jake had to admit, Pete piqued his interest. A challenge. He's always up for a challenge. He couldn't wait to meet this Elizabeth. It might make this vacation a lot more fun and interesting.

Challenge accepted.