Chapter 7 : Felix felicis

It was before curfew yesterday in the hallway that he encountered professor McGonagall , who told him that his presence was especially requested by headmaster Dumbledore at midnight.

Even if Harry wasn't too keen on working with him, he had valuable information about the war and many other things. Advantages can be gained only after derailing another person hogging them. And that was what he intended to do. Dumbledore was a good person, Harry knew that but he was blind to many things. Harry was grateful to him to an extent, an extent to which he trusted a well-meaning and knowledgeable but slightly foolish family elder. He went along with him because he needed more information about Voldemort. He learnt it early on, Know your allies but know your enemies better.

Walking through the deserted stone hallways of the castle , Harry made his way into the headmasters office . Entering he saw Dumbledore sitting behind his desk , kindly and keenly waiting for Harry .

Entering , Harry called," Hello Headmaster"

Smiling, Dumbledore replied," Hello to you as well, my child. How are you ? Fine, I suppose "

" I have been good, sir. As good as the days let me "; Harry answered mildly . Him being with Dumbledore relaxed his guard by a bit . The fact that this man is akin to family to him is easily proven as such.

Seating himself in one of the chairs , he waited for the main topic to reveal itself. Which came soon as Dumbledore continued," Harry, Do you remember what I asked of you? Have you gotten anything from professor Slughorn ?"

Harry's eyes took on an annoyed gleam but his face remained impassive .

" No, sir. He is far more tight-lipped than we anticipated. "

" I figured so much. I know that this is a puzzling task I have asked of you. But do understand, Harry, you are the only one with a leverage big enough to get it done. " ; Dumbledore humbly explained.

" Yes sir. I understand. May I take my leave now ?" ; Harry asked in a neutral tone while standing up. It was evident that he did not wish to discuss this any further.

In an attempt to lighten the mood, Dumbledore asked with a mischievous shine in his eyes ," Oh yes ! Another thing, Harry. I have heard that you have been spending some time with Miss Granger as of present. Are you perhaps-"

Before he could finish, Harry interrupted him in a very monotone and as-of-fact voice," No sir. She is a good friend. But she is more of a sister than a romantic interest"

Dumbledore did not give up and further probed," I have also heard that Miss Weasley is a known company to you . Perhaps-? "

This time Harry cracked a tired smile and replied to the teasing," No sir . As of now I have no one as such. And I doubt that will happen till unpredictable time in the future"

" Well, do tell me if such happens. I will be very honoured to prepare a dowry for the coming family"

This confused Harry as he screwed his brows together and asked," Dowry?"

" Courting is with the intention to marry, isn't it? I myself have never done so but I do know the proper customs. If you tell me at the start of your courting then I will be having sufficient time to collect a wealthy dowry till the wedding" ; Dumbledore rambled on with a happy expression.

At this Harry's eyes widened minutely.
' Did Dumbledore believe that you are supposed to marry anyone you date? Is this because he is old and never married? Or maybe because he thinks everything is the same as a 100 years ago when he was in his prime ?'

Harry suppressed the laugh bubbling out of him as he struggled to keep a cold face. He was successful in doing so but Dumbledore still saw the humour in his eyes even though his face was unexpressive. Stopping, Dumbledore sighed with a fond look in his gaze as he looked at Harry ," My boy, you have grown so much. You were the height of my waist when you first came to Hogward's. It's been such a long time already. You are almost as tall as me now. And soon the chick will leave the nest and fly away high. So high that I won't be able to even look at you"