5. The Summer's River Inn

Deep behind the waterfall at the northern edge of the city lies a secret cave that very few knew about. It had been a secret hiding place for truants, lovers and many child-like adventures over generations. It had also been a meeting base for selected members of the ESS to discuss plans and operations they felt no other member of the Elites needed to know about, especially those in authority.

On this particular day, Malk Reece stood alone in the cave, waiting for a meeting with another ex-Elite. The only person he truly trusted apart from his student, Greg.

Black smoke appeared in front of Malk and he stepped back, "What took you so long?" He asked.

"Is that anyway to speak to an old friend?" Replied Kelsic emerging from the smoke.

"I'm sorry, Kelsic, but you did say an hour ago," informed Malk, "What is this meeting for anyway? We barely have time for chit-chat these days."

Kelsic studied him, "Relax dear friend. The boy you've dedicated your life to is not in your care this weekend. I see no rush that you are in."

"I'm planning something for him. A move that will test his ultimate power and a probable near death experience. The battle isn't too far away for him now," Malk tensed.

Kelsic raised an eyebrow, "That's why I asked you here. I fear a terrifying battle may be closer than we think."

"How so?" Asked Malk curiously.

"A prophecy is opening, the darkness is coming."

"Does Crucillo know of this?"

"The Mayor knows enough to make the right choices. He plans on leaving the city, I just hope he gets far away enough in time."

"You think it will come so close to the city?" Asked Malk.

"I'm telling you we should be prepared for the worst. I do not think Sed will have time to leave, no one will," said Kelsic.

"You just said you hope he gets far enough away."

"And I hope he does. But there may already be an army heading this way. We will be trapped inside before his escort is ready."

"You seem a little too keen on saving the old man, yet you do not tell him all that you know," said Malk wonderingly. He was not surprised to hear the potential threat on the city.

"I admit my friendship with the Mayor has clouded my judgement over him. He however, has no real belief in the prophecies. Guiding him towards the protection of his people is all that can be done by myself."

"You still believe that ancient rubbish?" Asked Malk for the thousandth time in his life.

"Some have already started looking," said Kelsic seriously.

"For the Guardian? Who might they be then? Some fools in search of a false hope no doubt," responded Malk.

"Names are of no importance right now. What is important though is that you had better get that boy of yours ready."

"Greg is not old enough to be fighting any wars. You need to tell the Mayor everything concerning this. If such an army really is on the way then he needs to be prepared to send an army out to meet them, far away from the city."

"If the gates are breached, the orcs won't care how old any of its children are. Just prepare him for the worst as you like to do, help him to help the others," said Kelsic calmly.

"What about you Kelsic? Where will you be?" Asked Malk.

"Whatever his decision, I will be at the Mayor's side. Will you go out to meet them?" Kelsic knew she did not need to ask.