15. Into The Woods

If the meeting with Malk did not go well, it was nothing compared to the meeting with the two soldiers from the Lord's Arms. They did not seem to want to give up their places in the ranks and remain in the city. Chad even wanted to give them their places back at one point just to shut them up.

Malk shifted uncomfortably in his uniform, he wished one of the young soldiers were a little bulkier. He complained all the way back to the main gate behind Kelsic, "We better not get back there and find my exact size," he moaned.

"Stop fussing. I let you use your own sword didn't I? You will be lucky if any of the Captain's scrooges do not recognise that blade," said Kelsic impatiently.

"You look fine," said Chad trying to sound polite.

"I told you not to speak until we get there," replied Malk.

Kelsic spoke over them both, "You are aware the others have not been debriefed in full just yet, so I would advise you not to speak until you get there," they reached the main gate quickly.

They were cast behind one other small squad. The guards watched them without suspicion as they stopped at the main gate. The small squad marched forward into the field.

"The Lord's Arms are waiting right outside, they will march once you fall in. You can talk or ask them anything later. Is that clear?" Said Kelsic. She looked around half expecting the Mayor and Captain Fishrual to be there to see the last of the troops leave for battle.

"I know what to do, Kelsic," said Malk stubbornly, "See you soon, old friend," he glanced at Chad and stepped through the gate.

"Remember, young fire wizard," she spoke softly, "Keep your friends in here. There is no greater power than the bond you hold with them," Kelsic pointed to the fire burning in his chest.

Chad assumed that was something she said to most first time soldiers. He made a note to ask Greg about this bonding thing that people keep bringing up when he got back. Chad nodded, he was unsure what to say.

"Words have a powerful meaning in the right moments, Chad Wizardman. But your eyes speak louder than your tongue. May Scenrio be with us all."

"May Scenrio be with us all," Chad repeated. He turned his gaze to the med unit where his friend was busily making potions. He wished he could go in there and talk to her before leaving. Although he did not know what he would say.

Chad smiled at Kelsic and left without another word. Outside stood the Lord's Arms. Eighty smartly dressed and well organised soldiers stood waiting for his presence.

Here goes... Thought Chad. He took place next to Malk at the rear and waited for the command.

"Squad! Forward march!" Came the order from the commander. They moved slowly to begin with, Chad found it easy to keep up. He could clearly see hundreds of warriors in front of this squad marching onward to war, many were already at the rendezvous point. Chad hoped the battle had not already started.

It seemed like two hours of marching had passed before the squad finally stopped. The silence was agonisingly painful as Chad could think of nothing else than what the next few hours would bring. Part of him thought of it as a bit of a boringly long trip despite it being the first time he had ever left the city. He wished somebody could have eased the tension by speaking or something. They walked over hill after hill, passed tree after tree. The scenery did not change at all. When he looked back he could barely make out the tops of the tallest buildings in Souvanence. The area ahead was a long stretch of plain open flat grass, it felt like the perfect place to make a stand.

"This is where we will witness it," said Malk suddenly.

Chad studied the soldiers around them. He estimated about twenty-five hundred of them all lined up ready to meet the enemy.