~chapter 1: Two girls~

~Two girls~

Olivia sat on the couch, biting her nails as she watched her mother in the corner. Or what was left of her. Her mother had her back to the girl as she sat on the wooden stool,her head facing the wall.

"Mads, she hasn't made a noise in a while," the young girls voice was full of concern as she called for her older sister in the kitchen.

"I'd check on her, but i need to clean the kitchen or Dad will be mad at me"

"No he won't," the younger girl rolled her eyes

"Not at you he won't, you are his favorite," Madison mumbled the last part to herself, making sure she wasn't heard by her sibling, "Just get up and check her, but please don't get too close!"

Olivia had never checked on her Mother before, that was Madison's job as appointed by their dad. Olivia was relieved when she found out she didn't have to, after all their new mum was terrifying.

She struggled to remember what her Mother was like before this all happened. Before the world came crashing down around them all ,due to a disease called 'the flare'. Her life changed pretty quickly, and not for the better. People panicked ,causing fear among them all, especially kids like Olivia and Madison. The world basically went on lockdown, and Olivia had not been outside the apartment for a couple of months now. The only way to reach the outside world was the news channels that only heightened the little girls fear.

'the disease is spreading'

'death toll rises, now reaching Three million'

'The deaths aren't going to stop until a cure is found'.

'The world is ending'

During the shut down of the world, the girls mother and father still has to work in the place they called 'the compound'. Every day they saw less and less of their parents and each day their Mother retuned different. She wasn't the cheery, loving self she usually was, who wanted to spend every minute with her children. Now, if the girls wanted a cuddle, she would dismiss them. If they asked for help she would snap. And the reason for this became clear, when she began to show symptoms: a cough, a temperature, feeling weak.

Their mother would never leave her room, isolating from her family. At night, Olivia could hear her mother cough like she was choking, sounding like she would run out of air.

The girls hadn't seen their mother for about two weeks, until she collapsed through the bedroom door, gasping for her. Olivia had been sat coloring when she heard the bang and rushed over. The woman was sat lying on the floor, her skin as pale as a ghost and black veins spread across her neck.

When their Dad arrived home and noticed his wife on the floor, he 'took care of it'. When in reality, he tied her up in the corner of the room, keeping her hidden from their neighbors. If someone found her, especially since her husband was well known, the family would be punished harshly. And she had sat there ever since.

"Liv have you checked on her?"

The younger girl hadn't even realized she had zoned out as she stood in front of the sofa. the remote held tightly in her hand. Her whole body was shaking as she looked back to the almost lifeless figure in the corner. She could feel her heart pound in her chest.

She gulped as she shuffled her feet across the old carpet, taking her time as she went. The closer she got, the easier it was to realize this was no longer her mother. Her veins stuck out of her skin, darker than dark. Black goo oozed out of her dried lips, but she made no sound.