~Chapter 4: Leaving home~

~Leaving Home~

"Olivia, it's time to get up"

The little girls body was shook lightly to wake her up and when her eyes flickered open, all she saw was her fathers face above her.

He looked down upon her with a smile, but the young girl was confused.

"Why have you woken me up?" she lifted her self up and stretched her arms, yawing at the same time. Her father moved so he was crouched down beside her bed, Olivia's sister appearing behind him on the other bed.

"Your bags are ready, just the essentials for the first few days. Your sister packed them for me, even if she needed a little persuading to do it," Their father looked back at the older girl, who was snuggling a teddy. Olivia noticed how uneasy she looked and began to wonder why.

"What do you mean bags? Where are we going? Is mum coming?" The little girl sprung from her bed, so she was stood in front of her father. Olivia tugged his arm so he would face her, "Where are we going?"

"You are coming to the compound, it's not safe here anymore" Her father knelt on his knee, placing her hand in his. "Don't worry, it will be fine"

"The compound? Is mum coming?"

An awkward silence filled the room. Olivia sensed her family knew something but wouldn't allow her to know.

"Unfortunately, no. She's been taken care of" The man lifted up, straightening his jacket.

"What does that mean Dad?" The little girl not only looked at him for answers but also her sister. Madison was being peculiar, like she was hiding something.

"They took her to the hospital so she can get better" The older sister finally spoke.

"Will she come home? She'll get better, won't she? I'll see her again"

"Of course we will" Madison slipped off the bed, pulling her younger sibling into an embrace.

Madison sent her father a dirty look as she held her sister, who couldn't see the interaction. She hated lying to her sister, especially about their mum.

"Anyways, hurry up and get dressed. We are leaving soon so bring the essentials. Not too much remember. Also, check the bags because it seems Madison can't do a good job at packing the bare minimum" He kicked the two small bags, making them topple over. Madison sighed as the door was slammed shut and their father was finally gone.

"Let's get you dressed!"

————————————-

"Hold still!" Madison tugged on her sisters hair as she attempted for her.

"Well you are hurting me!" Olivia argued back, whipping her head around so she could glare at her older sister.

"It wouldn't be this bad if we wasn't in a hurry, you heard him earlier. He's already annoyed at me"
Madison tied the bobble around the bottom of the second plait,"All done, now go get your bag"

Olivia stepped away and obeyed her sister. Her small hands wrapped around the strap and she pulled it onto her back.

The backpack was only small, but fit the girl perfectly. It had originally been Madison's bag, but her mother had decided she deserved a new one after helping around the house one day. Olivia was then given the old bag to save money, which one desperately needed at the beginning of it all.

Madison opened the bedroom door that led to the living room, allowing Olivia to step out.

The living room somehow felt different to how remembered it. But how could it have changed since last night? The strong smell of chemicals hit her nostrils and she noticed a dark stain on the carpet, near the chair in the corner.

"What's that?" the girl pointed over and began to toddle over, until her sister held out her hand and stopped her.

"It's were the hot chocolate spilled remember," The older girl dropped her hand and looked down at Olivia.

"I thought you managed to get it out?" Olivia tilted her head up, cocking it to one side.

"Mustn't have done. I could have missed a spot. It was dark to be honest" Madison dubbed her hand up and down her arm, awkwardly.

"Yeah, it was dark" Olivia saw straight through her sisters lies. She knew 100% that the spillage didn't happen there, but near the broken table they fell on. The trouble is, Liv didn't know why she was lying.

"You girls ready?" Her father appeared from the hallway, "Say goodbye to the beloved apartment"

Both girls slowly turned around, "Wait, are we ever coming back?"

The man sighed heavily, stepping closer to his daughters. His shoes clacked on the hardwood in the hall as he paused, "Of course you are! You won't be at the compound long, it's just while i sort out things. It saves you girls the hassle and danger. Especially with the outside world"

Olivia shuffled forward, her puppy eyes displayed.
"Promise me daddy that we will come back"

He looked away and scrunched his lips together. Madison stood silent in the back, waiting for a response just like Olivia.

"I promise we will. Now it's time to go, put these on!" He handed them both masks, "They aren't  really that effective, but it's better than nothing i suppose!" He opened the front door and began to move out without informing the girls.

"I don't want to leave!" Olivia stomped her foot on the floor, away from her fathers ears, "It's our home"

Her older sister had walked over to the front door and was just about to leave until she heard her sister. She paused in the door way, her hand resting on the frame.

"I know you don't, neither do I.But home isn't here, it's wherever we are together, ok. Now come on!"

Olivia smiled at her sister and took her last look at the apartment she had grown up in. All of her memories were here, especially considering she hadn't left in months. These 4 walls sometimes drove her crazy, but this was all she remembered knowing and she had grown to love it. But now this was a goodbye.

"Goodbye house!"  The little girl bounced over to her sister and walked out of the house for good. Madison slammed the door, not wanting to say goodbye. This was a good thing for her, now she could leave behind the trauma that no child should experience.