~Chapter 29: Runaways~

~Runaways~

~Runaways~

The sound of their running feet echoed throughout the walls of the building. Robyn ran with Jess beside her, following closely behind the short haired girl. They had no idea where she was taking them but she was their greatest chance of getting out of here. They already owed her a lot for saving them from Barkley.

"Keep close!" The girl turned back to yell at the teenagers, urgency in her voice as she told them all to quicken their pace.

Robyn ran as fast as her legs could carry her, weaving through all the small corridors and passages they were being lead down. The sound of helicopter's was almost deafening now as more and more began to circle them. The teenagers were being closed in and it wouldn't be long before they would be trapped.

"Is someone playing music?" Aris questioned as he ran with the group.

Surely enough, Aris was right. The speakers around them rang with a slow, smooth tune as the teenagers panted their way past. The song's volume increased, filling the room with a woman's soft and gentle voice.

"What a convenient time, eh" Jess said sarcastically, staying close to Robyn's side as they ventured further into the building.

"Shit, he's started the song. Hurry!" The mysterious girl screeched before climbing a steep pair of wooden steps. As she ran up, she checked behind her with each step, ensuring they were all following her and no one had been left behind. Thomas was right behind her, followed by Robyn and Jess as the others scrambled up uncontrollably behind them.

"Brenda! Hurry!" Jorge appeared once more, this time the harsh expression had disappeared and had been replaced with a panicked and fearful one. Robyn hurried up the last step, walking over to the girl she now knew as Brenda. The name suited her perfectly in a way Robyn couldn't really explain. It almost emphasised the badass person Robyn saw her as. She knew this girl would come in handy and  be a good addition to the team.

"We don't have much time" Jorge rushed his speech, "Let's go, let's go, let's go"

The older man flung a large sack over his shoulder, signalling for everyone to follow him. Obeying his orders, the teenagers followed his lead and walked further into the room just as he did.

"Right this way folks" Jorge moved over to what looked like a large door and pushed it open without hesitation. Robyn expected some secret tunnel or path maybe, but that wasn't the case.

"Oh you got to be kidding me," Frypan stood with his eyes wide and mouth to the floor. His reaction was a perfect representative to what Robyn felt inside. Fear.

Before them, stood a large metal cable which stretched over a vast amount of land. Not only was it long and far, it stood above the largest drop Robyn had ever witnessed. As she peered over the edge, her legs became shaky and her head became light once again. But she couldn't let fear take over, she knew she had to do this.