~Chapter 3: Freshen up with a side of Newt~

~Freshen up with a side of Newt~

"You can call me Mr Janson. I run this place"

The man who had randomly appeared earlier, was now leading them around the building. Robyn was squashed in the middle of her friends, trying to keep up with their fast walking.

Deafening noises of drills and mechanics surrounded them as they walked through the open space. Metal panels stood as walls, and busy men and woman rushed around the place. Robyn was separated from Newt, but stayed close to Teresa's side, knowing she has the same nervous energy.

"For us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You should think about it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourself," the grey haired man pointed at a small flame that fell from the roof. The whole right side of the group, which included Rob, ducked to avoid it.

"Does that mean you're taking us home," Thomas asked from the front of the group, where he always was. Robyn had never actually seen him at the back. Rude.

The man turned around and faced Thomas, still walking at speed, "A home of sorts"

"What does that mean?" Robyn raised onto her toes, trying to grab his attention. Surprisingly, he heard.

"It means that sadly there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the Scorch, where WCKD will never find you again," His head moved around so he was facing them all again, trying his best to reassure them, but Robyn didn't buy it. Something about him was unusual, but she couldn't put her finger to it.

"How does that sound?"

All of the teenagers stayed silently apart from Frypan, who raised his hands into the air, waving them.

"That sounds A-mazing if i don't say so myself" he clapped his hands together when he finished, feeling proud that only he spoke.

"That's what i like to hear, glad one of you is on the same page" Janson called from the front, laughing slightly.

A small silence fell upon them as they carried on walking through. The place seemed to never end and Robyn's legs ached. She look over her right shoulder to see Newt smiling at her. She quickly sent him a small smile back ,before returning her attention to the front, where Minho was talking.

"Why are you helping us?" He looked at the man with narrow eyes, waiting for an answer.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We are all hanging on by a very thin thread"

"Psst, Teresa" Robyn tapped the girls shoulder as the man continued, "What does precarious mean?"

Teresa shrugged her shoulders, her face scrunching up, "I didn't know either, but he's a bit weird don't you think?"