~Chapter 44: I'll see you again~

~I'll see you again~

Robyn paced up and down the room, her teeth biting at her nails. She could feel her heart thump in her chest and it had no signs of slowing down. The day had finally arrived. She was next. But there was one thing she had to do before it happened.

The boy was clearly running late and the pair were short on time. At this rate, Robyn believed she would never get to say goodbye to the Newt she knew now. Everything they had experienced, the friendship they had built was going to be nothing in a short space of time. All the time they had spent with one another and the trust they had with each other would be forgotten forever. And Robyn feared it would never be the same.

She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Her cheekbones were apparent and black circles hung below her eyes. It was clear to everyone she had started to neglect herself over the past few weeks because she didn't care about anything anymore. Death was no longer her biggest fear - it was the maze. Forgetting, the unknown, being alone. Each one deeply scared her. But being away from Newt especially made her fear her new home. Over the years, he had become her rock. All of her doubts, problems and emotions were helped by the blonde boy. He always knew what to say and now she wasn't going to have that.

But throughout her time at wicked, she had only just realised one thing. Her true feelings for him. Everyone else knew it, but herself. It was clear he was more than just a friend, he was everything. Newt was her person - forever and always.

"Robyn! Rob, please tell me you are still here!" Newt's voice echoed through the room. It sounded as if he was crying and when the girl rushed over to open the vent, her suspicions were right. The blonde boy lay in the vent, gasping for air. His eyes were bloodshot and his skin was red and puffy.

"Newt" Robyn whispered, helping him out. She grabbed the boys arm to help him stand up.

The boy rubbed his eyes with the sleeves of his jumper, "I thought i was too late, i thought you had gone...I thought i couldn't say goodbye"

Robyn looked at the distraught boy, her feelings finally catching up to her. Her eyes filled with tears and she grabbed his hand, making him look up at her, "It's okay, i'm here. I'm here"

The boy sniffled, slowly looking up to the girl. Newt was once a young innocent boy and he didn't deserve this. He had to watch his friends leave him behind. The poor boy would have no one after Robyn. Minho and Ziggy had long gone. He had to face it all alone.

Robyn felt the tears rush down her face, just before Newt's arms wrapped around her tightly. He swayed the pair back and forth, his hand running down her hair.

"I don't want to go" Robyn cried into his shoulder, "I can't do this"

"Sshhh. It's okay" Newt soothed her, "You will do this, i just know it. You are the strongest person i have ever met"

"I'm really not"

"But you are" Newt argued, pulling out of their hug, "You've faced so much, yet here you are. I don't know how you do it"

"I do it because of you" Robyn looked up at him, tears still falling, "You keep me going Newt"

The boy looked into her eyes. He always knew he was important to her, yet he always denied it. He didn't want to believe in something that could be his imagination. This girl was everything to him and he didn't want to damage that. The way she smiled, the way she laughed. Everything about her was perfect to him. Even her 'imperfections' were perfect to him. And that's when it hit him. He loved her. With every bone in his body, the blonde boy loved her. Robyn was his person.

"Ne-" Robyn whispered, only to be stopped by the force of the boy's lips on hers. She froze for a few seconds, processing the entire thing. This was really happening. She allowed herself to relax and enjoy it. Her feelings had been confirmed. The only problem was, it had happened too late.

The boy pulled away, a small smile on his face. He didn't know what to do, because he didn't want it to end like this.

Robyn stared back at him. Was this really it?

"I'll miss you Newt"

"You won't, but that's okay" He tucked loose strands of hair behind her ears, "But i'll be there soon.

Robyn jumped at the boy, her hands squeezing him tight, "Thank you Newt, for everything. You really are something special"

The boy could feel his heart shattering in his chest. He dreaded the word that was yet to come.

"I should probably get going" He said as they both pulled out of the hug.

"Yeah..." Robyn wiped her nose, "They'll be here soon"

"So i guess this is it"

"I guess so" Robyn looked into his pained eyes with hers. No matter how much they both wanted
to stay, they knew they couldn't. Their fate was inevitable - they couldn't fight it. This had to happen.

"Whatever happens, i know this isn't a goodbye. It's a see you later. I'll make sure of that" Newt forced a smiled for her.

Robyn let a laugh escape her lips, "Promise me"

He reached for her hands, "I promise you. I'll see you again"

Robyn squeezed his hands tightly, "I can't wait for that day"

The pair smiled together for the final time, a comfortable silence hanging over them. They stayed together for a few minutes, until the noise of approaching people could be heard from their room.

"Take care Rob" The boy said, letting go of her hands. He quickly placed another kiss on her lips before escaping through the vent. Newt took one look back, focusing on all of the girls features. It took everything in him to not turn around and beg the doctors to take him with her or even tell Robyn the words he had been dying to tell her. The stupid words he somehow couldn't say. Three words that explained exactly how he felt. But now she would never know how much Newt really loved her. And now he had to wait until the day he saw her again. Unfortunately for him, Robyn would never be the same.

———

Just a short chapter to finish the book.

I hope you all enjoyed the second instalment in the Robyn series as much as i've enjoyed writing it.

Now it's time for the final book......