Chapter 21 --- Family

It was never an easy time. This year was no different. A few weeks ago, it was as if all the shopping malls had contracted a decorating disease at the same time.

Christmas wreaths, garlands, and ornaments dangled from every orifice of the buildings. Shopping malls, restaurants, indeed the very streets were covered with the trappings of the season.

I walked from the parking lot towards the lobby of the airport. I paused at a crosswalk and spotted a family across the way.

They were laughing - I could hear them all the way across the road - and the mother broke away to take a picture of the other four.

I watched the father argue with her, trying to exchange places so he could take the picture instead

"I can take the picture for you." I smiled at the family to show I meant no harm

"Thank you." The mother handed me the camera and joined her family.

I looked down at the camera as I aimed and managed to snap the shot

"Here you go." I handed the camera back to the mother.

"Thank you so much!" The mother looked at the screen and grinned before showing it to the others with her. "Merry Christmas!"

I laughed and I wanted to reply that I rarely had a merry Christmas. That didn't matter. I appreciated the sentiment even if the good wishes hurt more.

"Same to you." I turned and continued on my way remembering how the conversation I had with Patrick went

We smiled at each other. I turned and gathered my purse so we could leave. Patrick drove us away to my apartment, not telling him about the phone call I had with my mom. We chatted a little and I felt myself relaxing around him.

Patrick was always easy-going and friendly. I imagined him always being surrounded by friends, being the life of the party without also being the obnoxious one. His smile was always warm and I didn't think I was the only one he made feel so at ease.

"You never did tell me what your plans are for the holidays." Patrick broke the silence that had descended when they stopped at a red light.

"Didn't I?" That's because I don't want to drag us both down. "What are your plans? You said that your family likes to organize some bizarre charity for the poor on Christmas"

"Yeah. My parents are always like that, always about publicity."

"Politics." We both uttered and we found ourselves grinning at the thought.

"What about your Mom?"

"Oh well.. She's coming home for Christmas. I just don't know 'til when."

The drive back to my apartment was uneventful. There was a minor traffic but after that, it was smooth sailing.

And then the moment arrived, the plane had landed and the passengers were filing through customs. Frantically searching through the sea of faces it was as if time stood still for me as my eyes finally found my mom.