Chapter 22 --- Luxury

I was ecstatic, overwhelmed---- Not. I read and reread the invitation. My attendance had been requested at the home of the Llanzas for Christmas’ eve. It was a formal affair planned for the 25th day of December. An RSVP was requested.

But I chose to ignore it as I had just gotten comfortable in front of the television set and was digging my spoon into a bowl of double fudge delight ice cream when my cell phone rang.

Hitting pause on the remote, I froze the episode of House with the main character making some rude comment to one of his patients.

I don't know why a character who's abrasive, sarcastic and flawed appealed to me so much, but his biting sense of humor always made me laugh.

A glance at the phone confirmed my worst fears. It was my Mom, and that usually meant something had gone wrong and almost certainly meant that House and my ice cream were going to have to wait.

I flipped the phone open and launched right in. "Mom, I told you .. I’m not coming"

I hung up on her and tossed the phone on the bed.

It was December 25, And I decided to ditch everything else and stay at my lonesome apartment. No partying, no drinks, no flashy and scandalous after party I always attend during the years. No more of it

That’s what I’ve promised Patrick before he left to spend Christmas eve with his Maternal Grandparents at Arizona.

He was hesitant at first. It took me time to convince him that I’ll be fine and he shouldn’t be worried at all and I made sure he brings home those scrumptious apple pies which is his Grandmother’s specialty

A knock on my door startled me out of my misery. Who the hell could that be? I wondered, tossing off the blanket and going to the door At first, I thought it would be Nina which is quite impossible considering she'll be spending it with Iñigo tonight

When I finally opened the door, I saw the least person I expected to show up right in my door step at 7:30PM

“Well. I’m surprise to find you in your boy-leg PJ”

I blinked at him, unable to move. Despite its obvious teasing, his expression, from what I could tell, is impatient. He’s as mercurial as the sea, I thought. I would think he’s trying to be friendly, but he’s gazing at me like I’ve killed someone he loves, or something.

It was Alex Llanza. A former Philosophy classmate and apparently my soon-to-be Step brother,

I stepped aside, giving him room to come in. Despite my obvious hesitation, he was pretty determined to drag me with him; I could see it in the stubborn set of his mouth. He has a lovely mouth, I thought. Dangerous lovely.

"This is quite a surprise. What brings you here, business or pleasure?" I asked as I took my seat across from him. “You looked fancy, future step brother”

 He pulled off his tongue and bruId at his short, dark hair before gifting me with his extraordinary smile. "A little bit of both." He chuckled. "After all, seeing you is always a pleasure."