Chapter 27 --- Wasted

“Kung kailan natutunan mo nang mahalin saka naman biglang mawawala na parang bula.”

I knew I only had myself to blame for my predicament but no matter how strong of a person you are, there’s always someone who can make you weak.

He wasn't supposed to mean anything to me. He was just supposed to be there…just like all the other guys. They didn't mean anything. I never let them mean anything. I was just supposed to play with them, and then move on. No love, no ties. And no one would get hurt.

But this…this was never my intention.

 Pouring myself another shot of Strawberry Pina Colada, I quickly flung it back and felt it burn all the way down to my stomach.  Bad ass spirit was sorely needed right now!  The jazz slowly seeped into my flesh. The alcohol made everything a bit blurred in a way that I welcomed.

 I could hear the thunderous cheers coming from the other room, and prayed the ground would open up and swallow me.

I poured myself another shot with trembling hands before passing the bottle to the bartender

The Casa Nami Surf Pub bar was lively for a Thursday evening. I stared into the almost empty glass of Strawberry Pina Colada, quietly contemplating recent events. Valentine's Day with Patrick had not gone as planned.

Grimly, I tipped the glass up drinking the last few drops. I placed the drained glass behind the bars back-splash asking Leo, the bartender, for another. With a sympathetic smile, Leo patted my hand and took the empty glass away placing it with the others.

He reached into the fridge for another long neck. Opening it, Leo slid the cold brew down the bar, pouring it on my glass and into my waiting hands.

On its journey the bottle passed a man deep in thought sipping a glass of Polynesian Punch glanced my way and raised his eyes on me with a smile. I did him a favor and nodded at him. Taking a swig from the freshly served of my Pina Colada, I let the drink linger a moment.

Things were going so well. At least they were until I started crying, the tears coming from nowhere, making the room even more blurry. I commanded them back and was just as successful as if I'd ordered the sea to retreat. I covered my face and struggled for the composure that eluded me.

Savoring the fermented essence, My gaze drifted to the mirror on the wall. Surveying the reflections I spotted a happy group of ten to twelve people in the back. They were all having fun, especially the cheery couple seated at the party's center. I swallowed hard, feeling a tear escape as thoughts turned to Patrick. It was only a day ago when things had come apart.

Raising the glass to my lips again, I shot back the rest of its contents before slamming it back down on the bar.

 "Gimme another."

 Still chuckling, Leo poured a liberal amount of light and dark rum mixed with juices in the glass.