CHAPTER 9: BETRAYAL

~ Great Hall ; First evening back ~

As my friend group walked into the Great Hall, I can see students elbowing their friends and whispering about us. I am only able to understand small parts of conversations but I know that it has to do something with The Daily Prophet, since some were reading it, looking up at us and looking back down again, in shock. Whatever happened, must've been extremely interesting, because the news spread like fire in the hall, but we still don't know about a thing.

At the Gryffindor table, I discover Hermione glaring over to Pansy and then Chiara, looking nervously, fiddling her fingers and blinking a bloody lot.

„Can anyone tell me what's going on?", Pansy asks students at the Slytherin table. but they just ignore her, seems like they don't want to have to do anything with all of us. Our blood is boiling, everyone whispers, gasps and looks at us like we were some kind of aliens.

„Leyla?", Fred questions from behind me. „I know you're not really talking to him.", he states, causing me to look at him confused and questioningly before he hands me the Daily Prophet.

~ Mattheo Riddle, son of You-Know-Who steps in his fathers tracks.

Rumors about Mattheo Riddle, the son of You-Know-Who, are currently leaving the wizarding world wondering, will he continue his fathers actions?
Witnesses say he was spotted near a possible hiding place of You-Know-Who on December 29th.

Apparently You-Know-Who plans on fighting Harry Potter, the boy who lived. He was the only one who resisted the Killing Curse, due to which You-Know-Who has to kill him to receive victory and become the most powerful wizard ever known.

Mattheo Riddle himself confirmed to have no contact with his father anymore, but now everything indicates to him proceeding You-Know-Who's goal. If anything should happen to him, his son would have to kill Harry Potter and take complete control over the wizarding world. ~

I gasp as I reach the paper further to the others. Even Chiara freezes for a moment before looking at me with disappointment and confusion. Her eyes stare at the table for surely five bloody minutes, while probably thinking about him, consequences or whatever. All of us were confused, didn't Mattheo say he has no contact to You-Know-Who?

Now I'm even more worried about Chiara, but I promised her to not complain anymore, to- to not doubt her decisions... Her depression didn't get less, it stayed; Just like the panicking at night, the faster breathing, the sinking in thoughts, the crying at night and the silence, that filled her in. I was the only one knowing about it; about her problems. She only talks to me about it, even though this gets less slowly. Mattheo only knew of it because of that one night, where apparently he noticed her problems before he made her upset. This asshole.

Just when talking about him, he walks into the Great Hall. The whispering, the conversations get even more, eyes flicker up, staring at him while he just smirks as always. If he knew about what the paper says? Is he proud of it? Son of a bitch...

„Like to talk about me, huh?", he breaks the silence between Blaise, Draco, Pansy, Chiara and me. We don't know what to say; how to move. All of us froze by the comment he made. „How scary I am.", he whispers as he sits down before laughing devilishly, causing me to shiver. This fucking asshole.

I'm not hungry anymore... not even a bit. The silence is killing me, making me sick. The people looking at us, make me sick. Even though, no one of us except Chiara has a lot of contact to him... I need space right now so I stand up, seeing Chiara looking at me hesitantly. She followed me as I walk out of the hall, catching even more stares... Why me?