CHAPTER 17: PREFECT

I said yes.

Among all possibilities I said yes. I accepted Snapes 'offer' of being a prefect... a prefect — with Mattheo Riddle. Great.

And now I'm standing here — in front of the entire class, holding a presentation of behavior. Again, great. Every eye's on me and Chiara has finished with her part. It's my turn.

"Er, uhm. Yes. Besides staying concentrated in lesson you should keep eye contact with the person teaching. As a sign of... respect.", I mumble, looking down at my notes. "And to show the person that you pay attention and listen to what they're saying."

I look up again. My hands are shaking slightly as I see some students looking at me with wide eyes; expecting something. I clear my throat and continue with my cheeks burning.

"When being asked a question, a student should answer if possible. Instead of answering in a questioning way, you should try to sound convinced of your own words. Here's an example.", I flip a page.

"Ms. Smith, what does the spell Vera Verto do?", Chiara acts a teacher, causing some students to giggle and snort.

"It transforms an animal into a water goblet.", I answer convincingly. "As You could hear, I didn't answer in an unsure way. That's what a student should... try to do when answering."

"Now I'd like to present manners at the table.", Pansy continues confidently even though it seems like the most hilarious thing.

"I must say it's quite entertaining.", I hear an all too familiar voice and look around. Everyone is watching Pansy. Didn't they hear it?

"Oh you're confused.", it says. "Funny, really funny."

I quirk my brows in confusion, still looking around, searching for the person speaking.

"You cannot see me talking, genius.", it mocks. "I'm using Animo Sermo. A telepathic spell to talk in another's mind."

Mattheo.

I roll my eyes and shuffle on the floor, concentrating on the presentation again.

"And the wicked thing is, you don't know how to block it.", Mattheo drawls deeply. "Oh Smith... You sound hilarious, talking about manners. I remember you being quite the rebel."

I huff, pulling the attention to me again, although it's Pansy's part. McGonagall glares at me, Pansy looks at me and begins to talk again hesitatingly. As I look to Mattheo I can see his face expression cold, looking at Pansy and I frown.

"I don't have to look at you to do it. I can even laugh without my lips curling even a bit.", he chuckles devilishly. "No but seriously Smith. Would you like to teach me some manners? Me, being a Riddle, I don't tend to have a lot of control over the things I'm doing. As you already know I can be really aggressive and hurting people."

He's talking about Chiara.

"And I would not know how to stop", he clicks his tongue. "How tragic... Additional to that, nobody including myself would know what would happen if I loose control. Maybe I'll continue hurting someone."

A pause. An a bit too long pause.

"Sitting straight is an important aspect considering table manners.", Pansy's voice sounds next to me again. My breathing pace fastens. He would hurt her again, wouldn't he?

I look at him and he pulls up his brows, trying to look confused. He's playing with me. But what if he's serious?

"How sad it is that you hate me so much you wouldn't even dare teaching me manners. Am I right Smith? It would just be a waste of time anyway... Mmhh.", his voice pops up in my mind again. "I guess I'll loose control again then. And your little friend Chiara, she's blind of love. Is that how you girls say it?", he smirks now. "Oh no, I'm already becoming soft..."