Chapter 3

Sidharth is in his office room looking at Ruhani who is busy colouring in the book in front of her. There are many other colouring books, varieties of colours, chocolates, chips, biscuits and juice packets scattered around the table. There are marks of dried tears on her face along with chocolates sticking around her lips. Sidharth looks at her with love, sympathy and concern. The child has taken a special place in his heart in such a short period of time. 

After a knock, Kambli enters the room and says, “Sir, we couldn’t find anyone with that name in that area. Are you sure sir, that was the name she said?” Sidharth replies, “Yes. She said that name. We turned around and looked for her but there was no one at the traffic by then. It could be nothing but still I have an hunch, that.. she might have some information. Look around the areas for her. And also go back to the brothel, maybe she is from that place. You ask and if you find anyone, click a photograph and send it to me. If I say then only bring her here.” Kambli nods his head and goes away.

“She is so sweet! Can I keep her with me?”, asks Sana, running her fingers over the curls of Ruhani. They are at Sidharth’s house. The social worker who was supposed to pick her up was unable to come due to some reasons. Sidharth couldn’t not leave the child at a Government orphanage. He knows the conditions of these places and he is never going to send the girl back to that hell. He brought her home. Ruhani too by the end of the day had grown close to him. She had kept clutching his finger as it started getting dark outside. 

Sidharth’s mother loved the sweet child the moment she laid her eyes at her. She had asked him to get a few new dresses for her which were immediately bought. Sana had wasted no time and after her packup had stood in front of their door to meet the kid, she had heard so much about. Sana had cleaned the child and put on her new dress, fed her and made her sleep in her lap. She too had fallen in love with her. 

Sidharth replies, “Really? And take her to your shoots to studios? Don’t be mad. The social worker will come tomorrow and take her away. She will be safe there. And maybe someone will adopt her someday.” Sana looks at the sleeping child, “You really feel it will be good for her in some ashram? She is so young and has lost her mother, her only family. She needs love and attention which she will not get in such places.” “I know but what can we do? It is not possible for me or you to take care of her. Maa alone can’t look after the child. And even if we do some arrangement, for how long can we keep her here?”, Sidharth says half heartedly. Sana looks hurt, “I can’t see this child go away. How can you be so..cruel?” “I am cruel? Sana I am just being practical here. Try to understand what I mean to say.”, he replies. “No. I don’t want to understand. You are really cruel.”, she argues. "If you think like that then it's fine. But I can't think immaturely like you.", he says. "Haye main immature? Mujhe tumse baat nahi karni.", she says as she turns her face.

“Uff! Kya chal raha hai tum dono ka? That child will wake up because of you both.”, says Ritaji as she enters the room. Sana says, “Dekhiye na Maa, I want to keep Ruhani with me but this sadu wants to send her with that social worker.” Sidharth does not say anything but gets up and leaves  the room. Ritaji comes and sits in the chair, Sidharth was previously occupying. She smiles and says, “Sana Sid nahi chahta iss bachi ko kisi orphanage ya ashram chodna. He is really worried for her future. But he is thinking practically. For how long will you keep her here?” Sana says, “We can think about it later. I am taking her with me for now." Rita ji smiles and says, “Tere mummy papa Punjab gaye hain bhul gayi hai kya? Who will take care of her now? Let her be with me for now. I won’t let her be taken. Okay. Abhi usse yehin sone de aur tu chal tujhe dikhati hun, meri sab jewelleries jo tere liye nikali hai.” After the two ladies left, Sidharth entered his room. He goes to his bed and sits beside the child. He runs his hand on her head and kisses her forehead.