Chapter 7

Sidharth runs his hand on Sana's hair as she sleeps on the bed. It had taken a lot convincing to make her stop crying and go to sleep. 

Sidharth goes out of the room and stands near the window. Taking out a cigarette, he puts it between the gap of his lips and lights it. After drawing a smoke, he holds it  between his two fingers and glares outside. 

"Tu thik hai?", he hears.
Sidharth turns to see his mother standing behind him. He immediately puts out the cigarette.
"Sana has fallen asleep. I have called Aunty and told her, she will be here tonight. You also go to sleep. It's late.", he says with a meek smile.
Rita ji puts her hand on his arm,"I know as a mother of a police officer, I should remain strong. But I can't. I can't lose my only son."

Sidharth pulls his mother into his arms,"Nothing will happen to me. Trust me. I won't let anything happen to me."
"But what Sana says becomes true. What if..", her words trail off as she sobs silently.
"Maa it won't come true. She just had a bad dream as she worries for me. That's  all. You don't worry."

"Jay Hind Sir!", Gaikward says as Sidharth enters his office.
He nods his head as Gaikward hands over a file,"Sir, Chaya's post-mortem report. It has confirmed our doubts."
Sidharth looks into the file and says,"Just as we doubted. When will the bodies be exhumed?"
Gaikward says,"Bhonsale and Kambli are there."

Ranne comes in and says,"Jai Hind Sir! We found something on the other side of the dumping grounds. Forensic team is still there screening the abandoned houses."
Sidharth says,"Hmm.. let's go there. Tell Kambli to send the bodies exhumed for post mortem."

Sidharth walks through the rubbles of concrete to reach the area cordoned off by police. Inside the ruins are a group of forensics scanning even the smallest piece of stone for probable evidence.

"Jay Hind Sir!", a police inspector says.
Sidharth nods his head as he says,"Sir, we found blood on the walls."
Sidharth follows him to the adjoining room that had a tin roof. This room had a door and windows were covered with thick cardboard.
Ranne says,"Evidences like blood as well broken bangles and pieces of torn clothes have been collected from this room."

"Why was this place not checked earlier? When I had repeatedly told all to do that, why were my orders ignored?", Sidharth says in a stern voice.
The inspector with a flumble says,"Sir actually..we had checked..but.."
"I can see that quite well, how efficient were you people. How could you people avoid such an important room during the search?"
The inspector stays quiet, lowering his head while Ranne says,"The door was kept hidden using old broken doors  and other wooden boards. I found windows covered with black paint and cardboards, so I had my doubts. I felt that there could a room behind this."

"Ranne please make sure nothing like this ever happens. If they are not capable of doing their job then ask them to send their resignation letters. We are not here to hold their hands and make them do it.", Sidharth says with an irritation.
"We are really sorry. This will never be repeated sir. I promise.", the inspector begs.
"I want everything in writing. The letter explaining your mistakes and the reasons behind them, must be on my table at the earliest.", Sidharth says.

Sidharth moves around the room. It is a big, dark and dirty room. There is a light bulb hanging from the ceiling. Apart from an old hospital bed and two old chairs with one arm each, the room has absolutely nothing in terms of furniture. A lock hanging at the door indicates it must have been kept locked.

"I think this is the place where the women were brought before they were murdered. They must have been tied up on the bed.", Sidharth says looking at everything carefully.
"Yes sir. We have found blood in this room. The bed too had traces of dried blood. There were fibers of rope probably used to tie them and pieces of clothes they were perhaps wearing.", Ranne says.