Chapter 6

"The woman I saw was Chayya? I just can't believe it.", Sana says putting her head on her hands.
Sidharth stands near the window with his hands in his pocket. "I am..sorry. I couldn't save her. I failed you. I.."
"Sidharth..stop.."
"Trust me Sana. I had put extra police in the area. I ensured no one goes out. I didn't think that those people will go after them. I really didn't think.", Sidharth says without looking at her.

Sana gets up from the bed and goes near him. She holds his arm and pulls him to face her,"Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault."
"No. It is not my fault but my negligence. I should have thought about it. But trust me I had tried to ensure no one else dies..", he says holding her hand, "I really feel like a loser. Ruhani lost her mother and now her Chayya didi too died. I don't know how I will face her. I broke my promise to you. I told you there will be no more deaths but.. I don't know.."
"Shh..Hey why are you saying all these? Bebu no. It's not your fault. You don't need to feel bad or responsible. You did everything you could..", Sana puts her palm on his cheek.

Sidharth nods his head, trying to control himself. Sana runs her palm on his face, "You knew about the deaths of women. So you tried to save them. You had no idea about the missing transgenders. If you had known, you would have done something."
"But it is my job to find out these things", he says.
"Yes. It's your job but you are not God. You can't know everything. You had no help from the police who had investigated the previous cases. See instead of blaming yourself, try to find the culprits.",she looks into his eyes and says that.

Sidharth nods his head and pulls her into her arms. He says,"Thanks baby! Thanks for being there with me."
Sana looks at him, still wrapping her arms around him, "Thanks? Acha mujhe abhi thanks de rahe ho for what? I just told you the truth. I know you are upset. I get it. But you should understand that you are a human being. You cannot always be there to save everyone."
"I know everything. I thanked you because you told me what I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear this. But Ruhani.."  Sidharth's voice trails off.
"Ruhani is a kid. We need to be there for her. Don't tell her about Chayya. And please don't send her to the Social worker."
Sidharth smiles,"No. I won't. Actually I can't."

"You have fallen in love with her. I know.", says Sana smiling.
Sidharth smiles,"She is so innocent and cute.. Just like you. Can't help falling in love. I am lucky to have all beautiful ladies around me."
Sana raises her eyebrows as Sidharth slams his lips on her.

"And you think these murders are related? Even this latest murder of the transgender? And the motives of all murders are the same?", the Commissioner asks, reading the file. 
Sidharth sitting in front of him nods his head,"Yes Sir." 
The Commissioner closes the file, "Fine. But how can you be so sure of the motive? Based on just one autopsy report, claiming something so serious.. No Sidharth I didn't expect this from you."

"Sir, I am not claiming anything based on a single report. I just gave you my gut feeling. Sir, no proper investigation has been done in all the previous murders. I don't have a proper post mortem report of any of the deceased. I need more evidence."
The Commissioner says,"I understand. What do you want to do now?"
"I need permission to exhume the bodies of a few dead women. A second autopsy is needed now.", Sidharth says.
"Sidharth, you know what you are asking? Exhuming the bodies will give media a chance to create ruckus. They will use this against us.", the Commissioner says.

"When these women were alive, the media had nothing to write about them. A few intellectual reporters once a while would visit them and make a documentary on their lives. When they died, these people were least bothered. So if they create a problem, do you think we should stop doing our job? Sir, for me all my cases are important. Law does not differentiate between people based on gender, caste, status or religion. It's our duty to ensure this happens. I need to find the motive behind these murders. And exhuming the bodies is the only way.", Sidharth says.
The Commissioner stares at him for a second and says,"Get the permissions from the court today. Do all that is needed but at the same time handle the press people. I don't want anything to come to me. I am not going to answer them. Do you get that?"
Sidharth nods his head and smiles.