Chapter 12 - Sexual Healing

Author's Notes:

In case you didn't guess from the title, sexy fun is ahead...  😏

This is another one of those songs that I am not old enough to have heard when it first came out.  The theme song for this chapter is:

"Sexual Healing"    by     Marvin Gaye

~-~

"Thank you," I said, shaking the hand of yet another elderly person I'd never met before - or possibly met once, at my wedding - and listened to the woman pay her respects.

I looked over at the coffin and at Andrew's ashen face that didn't quite match his living complexion. His hair looked wrong, too; too bright against his pale face and swooping in a strange way, parted on the wrong side. His fingers looked so stiff and curved at odd angles as if they had been broken. I couldn't see the dimple that was always present whenever he smiled, but his lips were pulled up into a fake-looking smile, trying but failing to imitate a peaceful expression. His suit, which had been my favorite on him because it clung to his muscles just right and brought out the golden flecks in his now-closed brown eyes, hung limply on his shoulders and further illustrated the sallowness of his coloring.

It's not my Andrew. This is just the shell that held him. And it's been distorted. So unlike him.

I went to sit in a chair, in a section of the room facing away from the corpse. I couldn't allow myself to think of it as Andrew. It was just a dead body.

Ew. 'Dead body' just sounded creepy.   Like a murder scene or something.  

I blew out an exasperated breath. The love of my life had died a week ago and all I could think about was not thinking about him. I needed to think of something else.

I needed to get out of here.

The door opened and a face I never thought I would see here walked in.

Sam Torrence.

I made a beeline to Sam, meeting him a few feet from the door. "Sam?" I asked, "What are you doing here?"

Sam gave me his typical good-natured smile and opened his arms as if for a hug. "I almost didn't believe it when Andrew contacted me. He contacted me a few months ago and told me he was dying. He asked me to be here for you, Violet. But I would have been anyway. I would be here for you, Violet."

I looked into his eyes, beseeching him with my own. "Can you get me out of here, please?"

That same smile still on his face, he said, "Of course."

Putting his arm around me, he led me out of the building to his pick-up truck. I hoisted myself up into the cab as he made his way to the driver's side and positioned myself in the middle of the bench seat. It was already dark outside and I glanced around while he was climbing in. No one was around and he had dark tinted windows.

No one would be able to see us here.

As soon as Sam was sitting in the driver's seat, he asked, with his keys in hand, "Where would you like to go, Violet?"

'A few months ago,' he had said. Right after Andrew and I came up with that stupid list. And Andrew knew by then that Sam was on my list.

Sympathy sex, hand-delivered, right when I needed some comfort. Andrew had asked him to come here for a reason. Suddenly, all my objections to the idea seemed ridiculous and I knew in that moment that I needed this.

"Your place," I breathed, turning my face to nuzzle into his neck, letting my fingers trail around his chest. My lips parted and I began to kiss and suck on his neck and earlobe. As my hands moved around his abs, I was surprised by how firm they felt. Someone was definitely sporting a six pack he hadn't had when he was in high school.