Chapter 23: Kinoe

The sun began to dip below the horizon as Ahsoka's inaudible footsteps led her through the grassy aisles of the orange and pink hued cemetery.

She had been here so many times that the scene had become unnervingly familiar to her- walking down those aisles, endless marble plaques extending in all directions, the orange colors of the sunset bathing the sky- it had all become so...habitual.

And the list of people buried here only seemed to get longer.

The teen suddenly stopped, feet coming to a halt as her eyes widened for a second. It wasn't long however, before a small smile crept on to her lips at what she had spotted ahead.

She saw him here often- the owner of the familiar head of silver-white hair. He only seemed to wear his Anbu outfits these days. Today was no different as he stood, clad in his casual uniform, same as she. He had his back to her, standing in front of a structure built like a fire and huge bold letters saying

'HOKAGE'

With that soft, caring smile gracing her lips, Ahsoka began walking again. Kakashi's onyx eye stayed on the large word, too lost in thought to hear the new set of footsteps switching from grass to concrete.

"The Will of Fire...that's what it represents," Kakashi whipped his head to look behind him, seeing the young kunoichi with hair that brightened in the sunset and a face set in calm sereneness, "...Or at least that's what I've been told. You are much better at these history facts than I am."

The small surprise in Kakashi's eye quickly vanished as it softened in recognition, "Oh, it's you." He said simply.

Ahsoka made her way to stand to his right, the sunset bathing the hair that cascaded down her ponytail in an orange hue as she turned her gaze up to the sculpture shaped like a whirl of flame. Kakashi did the same.

"It was built by the First Hokage, hoping it would be a reminder to all shinobi that the village is one, and that every person with the Will of Fire should love, cherish it, and fight to protect it just as past generations have done." Kakashi explained, his rather impressive reservoir of information coming to play.

Ahsoka hummed, "He was wise...the First."

"Hai." Kakashi agreed, both their eyes still looking up.

It was the sudden chill that ran down Ahsoka's spine that alerted her of the coming presence first. Then it was the unmistakably familiar chakra and the way it made her limbs lock.

That chakra...it had been a while since she'd felt it.

Kakashi turned his confused gaze to the auburnette, sensing her discomfort, only to find her eyes wide and skin rather pale despite the orange glow.

His brow quirked up in concern. She genuinely looked scared, petrified even. Kakashi was about to ask what was wrong, only to be stopped by the sound of shinobi sandals stepping on to the concrete behind them.

Kakashi turned, eye immediately falling on the rough, bandaged, scared face, and dark over- robe of Lord Danzo Shimura.

The hawk-like man's stare buried holes into both of the teens. His face set in his usual stone cold frown as he stared at the two, unblinking with an eye of iron. His two roughish scars sat on his chin as they always had, which Kakashi doubted would even allow the man to look friendly if he tried.

The teens didn't have time to think of anything else as the man strode towards them, and they couldn't do anything but turn around and face him.

"Ahsoka Aoyama and..." Danzo paused, his left eye dragging itself to the silver haired teen, "...Kakashi Hatake, correct?" The man asked, his voice sounding like sweet venom.