Chapter 28: The Priestess

Finally an update!! This took me much longer than anticipated...but anyways more info in A/N

Kakashi wanted nothing more than to leap into one of the courtyard pools or kneel to drink from one of the little rivers running along the floor.

No one had offered him water since his capture, and he didn't think his current escorts of three temple guards would be very inclined to give him any as they led him through the winding halls of the yellows stoned temple.

After the decision of his fate had been reached, he had been unchained and hauled up by the same three guards in front of him. Then they had led him off, cuffs finally off his wrists.

He'd come to discover that the temple was far bigger than he'd anticipated, and that it was not all dark and gloomy inside. They had already passed various open-aired courtyards with fountains and pools that helped stifle the suffocating heat. There were wide windows decorated with lattice screens that let the desert sun in, giving the majority of the place the feeling of being alive.

They descended down a flight of stairs. The gurgle of the streams that flowed through the hallways followed them through every step, and Kakashi had a feeling he was being put deeper underground than the normal dormitories the others had as the little trickle of water ran down stream.

While they had agreed to not kill him, he was still the temple's prisoner. He wondered for how long that would be.

He didn't say a word through the entire walk, staying the perfect picture of submissiveness he wanted to show these temple dwellers. Then they went down another passage and stopped in front of a worn down wooden door. One of the guards stepped up, opening it to reveal an almost barren room, with its only noticeable features being the bed in the corner and the single barred window.

"These will be your quarters until further notice." One of the guards said, speaking for the first time as he sent a withering glared to Kakashi.

The teen had no intentions of being butted by the spear the guard held tightly in his right fist, so he stepped inside without complaint.

"Enjoy your stay..." The guard mocked as he grabbed the doorhandle. Kakashi got a flash of the malicious and self-assured grins of the other two as the guard began to close the door.

He didn't care about being the three fools' entertainment. All he had to do now was-

"Wait!" A voice called from down the hall, followed by the sound of rapid footfalls. The guards collectively turned to the right, their amusement falling away as the owner of the pipping voice slowed from their run.

"S-Sorry, sorry!" Kakashi took a slow, measured step forward enough to look through the half-closed door. He caught sight of the cream colored skirts of a robe.

"Here are the garbs- and I need to go inside so....excuse me." There was some shuffling, and the newcomer pushed past the guards, leaving them a bit startled, but they became after thoughts to Kakashi as he focused solely on the person who stepped into the room.

The one who called herself Gin looked pleased, with an upward turn of her mouth and shoulders thrown back. She carried in her arms a bundle the same color as her robes. Her muddled brown hair fell from beneath the shadows of her hood, hiding her eyes. But Kakashi knew the shade of those eyes, he knew them too well.

All of the other priestesses had scurried off at the dismissive wave of the High Priestess after his 'trial'. Only his new ward had remained, stating that she would go get him all his necessities and meet him in his new quarters. Then Kakashi had been led away.