Chapter 29: Turbulent Waters

Surprise! I know it's been a while but I finally got around to finishing this chapter...after almost two years.

If you haven't read the series in a while due to the delay, I recommend rereading Chapters 27-28. Or if you want a true refresher just reread the whole thing ;)

More information in the A/N

Enjoy!

The corridor housing part of the sleeping populace of the temple was silent, but Kakashi raked his narrowed eye left, then right, until he heard the hinges of the door creak with a troublesome whine. Only then did he finally look ahead to see Ahsoka turn the knob and open the wooden chamber door.

She glided inside easily, taking a short step to the side to allow Kakashi inside as well. He slipped through the threshold without a word and into the small room. He dimly registered the scent of old wood mixed with lingering magnolia and cherry blossoms. But the observations were all pushed aside as his eyes immediately fell on the bed pressed against the far wall - or rather who was in it.

"Hello, boss." Pakkun said nonchalantly, waving a paw lazily as he lounged on the small bed- that was surely supposed to be Ahsoka's- as if he owned it.

"Pakkun." Kakashi responded, hearing the sound of the bedroom door shutting behind him. "I see you've been enjoying your mission."

The little dog had the gall to smile sheepishly, "Ahaha, I can't really complain..."

"No, you can't," Ahsoka agreed as she went to stand by Kakashi's side, crossing her arms as she gave the pug what Kakashi assumed was an amused glare by the tone of her voice. "You've been gorging yourself on more food than your 'dear old boss' here has given you in past five years."

Kakashi raised his brow at his Second- in- Command. "Oh?" he inquired.

Kakashi knew the canine had always had an appetite, but knowing he had gone unhinged was utterly uncharacteristic, if not a little amusing. But what fun would it be to show that amusement when he could instead watch the pug's agitation at being caught red-handed.

Pakkun sputtered, as expected, trying to gain a semblance of dignity as he sat up fully on the bed. "I-It's not my fault that they make such good yakitori here!"

"Yeah, it's about the only good thing that comes out of those kitchens." Ahsoka drawled, "The things that they make and call dessert are a complete insult to the culinary art of sweets."

She walked to the bed, plopping down- which elicited a cry of indignation from Pakkun- as she removed the hood obscuring her face and it's consecutive wig, sticking her tongue out at the canine in a very mature way.

Pakkun scowled and began to argue as Ahsoka let her hair loose and fluffed it nonchalantly.

Kakashi he took a moment to observe the scene - a ticked off dog, and a shamelessly grinning girl- He hadn't felt this relieved in ages. Less than fourty-eight hours ago, he had been panicking, overcome by the possibility that harm had come to the both of them that led to a determination in finding them.

Now the same two were bickering about the rudeness of throwing themselves onto a bed without a care over the rudeness of taking over a bed that wasn't even yours in the first place.

"How about I throw you off your bed and see how you like it?"

"That would be something given that the bed you are occupying is in fact my bed. And besides, you would need some extra strength to throw me of the bed, SoftPaws."