Chapter 18: Broken Promises

One year later

The scent of blood hit her nose before Ahsoka truly registered the image in front of her. She was sitting on the floor, blood pooling around her, tainting her blue nightclothes. She felt...small. She felt even smaller when her eyes took in what was before her.

Two bodies,  a man and a woman laying dead on the floor.

She knew who they were. She knew that long ginger hair now caked in blood. She'd know that handsome face anywhere - no matter how bloodied or mauled his body looked. Ahsoka hadn't seen them in so long but she knew those faces...those haunting pale faces that appeared in her dreams often...

...Her parents.

Then she realized why she felt small. She was six years old again.

Trapped. Sitting in a pool of her parents' blood and gore. The snow raging outside. The coldness of the wooden floor biting at her red stained hands...

Then...the footsteps. She knew they would come. She knew since she realized where she was. Those god awful, slow, heavy footsteps coming...approaching  from the shadows. Footsteps that made her blood run cold in fear.

She tore her eyes away from the bodies and to where she knew he would appear. The hulking figure she remembered. The one that towered over her six-year old self and would still in present day. She knew he was coming. Her bloodline's instincts sensing him, feeling him.

The footsteps creaked to a stop on the wooden floor and the figure stepped into the moonlight....but who came out of the shadows was not who Ahsoka expected.

Her eyes grew wide at the sight of the familiar raven hair, orange goggles, and unforgettable mischievous grin.

"O-Obito..." She stammered. He was there. Right there. Standing just as he did a year ago.

As if sensing her surprise...Obito's grin grew wider, more psychotic. Then he was gone, and so was the rest of the world. Everything turned black around Ahsoka. Then she found herself standing in a crumbled cave, facing the many boulders covering the entrance.

"Ahsoka..." She whirled around at the sound of the familiar weak voice. She was still her six-year old self but she didn't care...not when her eyes landed on the haunting sight of Obito crushed under a boulder. Blood running down the corner of his mouth, his eye closed and his body unnaturally still.

"Obito!" Ahsoka ran to him, dropping to her small knees at his side, "Obito stay with me!" She grabbed his hand, just as she had done that day, "You're not leaving me! Not again...!" Her brows furrowed as she looked down at him. His face exactly as she remembered it last. Bloodied, dirtied, pale.

His eye opened slowly, "Ahsoka..." He repeated her name, "I didn't leave you..." His eye narrowed, "You just didn't fight hard enough for me." He ripped his hand out of her grasp.

Ahsoka gasped, looking down in shock, guilt, and pain, "N-No...No...That's not true! I fou-I fought for you!"

Obito's Sharingan blazed. Now Kakashi's Sharingan. It's red coloring brighter than a blood ruby glaring up at her, "No you didn't."

Horror striken eyes looked back, blank. The cold words like a knife to the gut.

Three phantom hands touched her shoulders and gripped her shirt. She was suddenly wearing her ninja gear. She was twelve years old again...the age she had been on that day...the day the boy that meant the world to her died.

The three phantom hands gripped her tighter. She knew who each one of those hands belonged to. She could sense them. The feel of a calm summer breeze, the crackling of electricity in a thunder storm, a pine tree in a dense forest.