Chapter 11: Kusanagi

Fun Fact: Hiroshi Shinto was in the same graduating Academy class as Minato Namikaze and Kushina Uzumaki. 

2 years later

A swirl of leaves twirled high up in the air around the bright red Hokage building. The sunlight shined through it's windows, illuminating the inside of the Hokage's office where Hiruzen Sarutobi sat quietly smoking his pipe and going through the piles and piles of papers on his desk which had only increased with the beginning of the war two years ago.

The Third Shinobi World War was something Hiruzen had tried to avoid at all cost. But in the end, it was inevitable. Relations with Iwagakure and the other nations had taken a turn for the worst. The Second Shinobi War had left the Five Great Nations in a difficult position all leading to this current war. There was nothing he could have done to save all the lives of the shinobi and children fighting out in the battle fields far from their homes.

Hiruzen leaned back sighing, trying to enjoy the rare peace and quiet of his office. That is, until he heard shouts coming from the hall, only getting louder and louder by the second.

"--I did too!"

"No you didn't."

"You bastard! I'm going to beat you black and blue!"

"Yeah, yeah. Tell me that when you get your Sharingan." Hiruzen rolled his eyes and groaned as the shouts started coming from right outside his door.

A new, feminine, voice sprung up, "ENOUGH! I don't want to hear it!"

"BUT!"

"SHH!"

"Ahso-"

"ZIP IT!" A deafening silence followed, only broken by a light knock on the office door a moment later.

"Come in." The Hokage called out in a weary voice. The door creaked open revealing an embarrassed looking Minato Namikaze.

"Ah ha ha, sorry for that Hokage-sama. The genin seem to be a bit riled up after the mission." Minato stepped in, sheepishly scratching the back of his neck as the four genin followed him into the office, standing in a straight line in front of the desk.

"I see..." The Hokage deadpanned as he scanned the genin.  Rin looked like she wanted the Earth to swallow her right there and then while Ahsoka was sending death glares to the two boys on her left who were nervously sweat dropping.

Hiruzen shook his head, deciding it was best to ignore the problem, "How did the mission go?"

"It was a success, sir. The message was delivered safely to our forces on the Kusagakure border. However, we were ambushed by Iwagakure shinobi hidden further south than expected."

Hiruzen's eyes widened, "They've broken further south?"

Minato's face grew grave, "Hai, it seems they have stationed there to cut off our communications. It was thanks to Ahsoka's sensing abilities and quick thinking that we were able to spot them." He gave his student a warm smile and the auburnette ducked her head with a flattered blush.

Hiruzen seemed pleased at that, "Is that so?" He leaned back on his chair with the slightest upward turn of his lips, "Well then, it's a good thing I planned this for today."

"Huh?" The whole team looked at the Hokage in confusion. Just then, a knock sounded at the door, turning everyone's attention to it.

"Come in." Hiruzen called out. Once more, the door creaked open revealing a brown haired jonin.

"Hokage-sama." Hiroshi Shinto closed the door behind him and bowed his head.

Ahsoka gave a light gasp,"Hiroshi!" She immediately ran up to the man that had taken care of her all these years, "What are you doing here?"