Chapter 26: He Who Is Called Tenzo

Happy one year anniversary to this story!! Whoop whoop!

This chapter goes from episodes 352-354. (If you get confused it's because I skipped around a lot...if not this would have been 10,000 words or more)

Word spread fast through the ranks of the Anbu, fast enough that a large group of members were already gathered in makeshift rows in front of the headquarters by the time the Hokage had arrived back at the village that very same night.

The darkness of the night seemed to be broken only by the few lights illuminating the large double red doors leading inside the compound and the set of steps climbing up to it. The rest was quiet as the assembled group stood, silently watching the doors.

Blended into the masked crowd stood a wolf masked member- alert and fixed ahead like a calm predator before a hunt. That was until there was some shuffling to her left, catching her attention. And then there was Kakashi- mask less, serious, and suddenly standing by her side.

Ahsoka had to look twice at him, her stunned eyes catching on the bandage on the right side of his forehead, peeking from beneath his silver bangs.

She had seen him on his way to the hospital when he arrived after having survived an encounter with Orochimaru himself. That thought alone was enough to send a shiver down Ahsoka's spine.

Blood had been running down the right side of his face. And though he tried to hide it, she had seen his trembling hands, had felt the fear in his chakra too. But the alarm had been sounded, and he had immediately shooed her off.

Now he was standing at her side, his eyes closed as he touched his bandage after having shouldered his way through the group.

Gingerly, Ahsoka leaned in, "Are you alright?" She whispered, breaking the sacred silence that had fallen upon everyone. She didn't care.

Kakashi stopped probing at his bandage. He instead reached for his mask, "I'm fine." He said, placing the mask over his face. Ahsoka didn't get a chance to respond as the metal doors creaked open, revealing two figures walking out of the building.

The large, red hat one wore quickly marked him as the Hokage; he stopped right at the top of the stairs. The other stepped to the side, his heavily bandaged face and rough look was unmistakably Danzo, letting his Hokage take the spotlight as he faced the crowd.

"This emergency meeting was called regarding the capture of Orochimaru, who escaped during the previous mission." Hiruzen's voice boomed as his eyes scanned each of the masked faces. "According to intel reports, Orochimaru is seriously wounded."

Ahsoka wondered if it had been the Hokage who had inflicted those wounds...and if they were the reason Kakashi was even able to come out from that fight alive.

The thought made her stomach turn in a nasty way.

"Considering his condition, he will not be able to leave the Land of Fire easily." The Hokage;s eyes suddenly narrowed. "Listen carefully....the knowledge, data, and jutsus that Orochimaru possesses are a valuable asset to the Hidden Leaf....If possible, bring him back alive."

The Aoyama felt the anxiety levels spike from the people around them. She didn't blame them, her own had risen as well.

But the Hokage continued. If the aging, experienced man sensed any of the apprehension from the group, he didn't acknowledge it, "If he leaves the Land of Fire...it will be a fatal blow to the village!" His voice boomed again, "And so, this must be settled before he crosses the nation's borders!"

Everyone knew what the next words were and quickly bottled their unease. The top shinobi the village had to offer. The ones who did the jobs no one else dared to. And the ones who had a chance at stopping Orochimaru.