5

Marinette watched Lily as she hummed to herself, singing the lyrics to a song in English. Her face seemed serene, but the young designer could sense what she was feeling by staring into her eyes.

Wistfulness.

She was missing something. Did she leave something in America? Did she miss someone close to her?

Her mouth still softly formed words even as Miss Bustier clapped her hands to grab the class's attention.

"Students! We have someone new joining us today, I'm sure most of you have heard of her. Please welcome Miss Richards from New York, America!" Lily looked up at the mention of her name, glancing around as if she wasn't sure where she was. With a pointed look from Miss Bustier, she stood up shyly and waved a little.

"Hi, I'm Lily." She said quietly and with a slight American accent.

"Girl, I think everyone knew that already!" Aly shouted out, the rest of the class nodding their heads in agreement. Lily smiled sheepishly and sat down, again humming her mysterious American song.

The lesson came and went, everyone picking up their bags for lunch, and Lily sang through it all, her voice smooth like water, rich like silk, yet at times she had a steel edge, giving her voice character. Everyone was silent as they got ready to leave, the students and even the teacher keeping their comments to themselves to listen to the girl's song.

"So, before you go

Was there something I could've said to make it all stop hurting

It kills me how your mind can make you feel so worthless

So, before you go"

Even when her voice was so quiet, the efforts of the students to remain quieter trumped Lily's and her voice carried the words across the room and to everyone's ears.

Lily still hadn't noticed the attention on her, and started walking down the incline of the class, pulling out her phone to send a quick text to her dad. Singing softly the entire way.

She stayed oblivious, walking out the door without another word. As soon as her last strand of chestnut brown hair was out the door, everyone started talking at once about how beautiful her voice was, and how much better it was in person.

Song: Before You Go (Lewis Capaldi)