11

Lily climbed the steps to her house, pushing the large doors open to let the familiar air that smelt of vegetables and steamed pork, stepping in and slamming the door behind her. 

"Dad, I'm home!" She yelled into the almost empty house.

"In the kitchen, sweetie!" Was the reply that echoed back. 

Lily entered the overly large kitchen, greeted by the sight of her father moving around the stoves and sinks, washing spinach and marinating pork. 

"Vegetable duty," Was all he said before returning to churning the pink colored meat with the brown sauce tinting it.

Lily sighed and threw her backpack on a chair in the small dining room attached to the kitchen. She picked up the soaking spinach, draining it before setting it aside and pouring oil into the preheated pan. She sprinkled some salt and crunched some garlic to put in it. After the garlic had cooked, she picked up the vegetables and braced herself. Throwing the spinach in, Lily threw herself back, avoiding the splash of hot oil that came off the pot. She picked up the spatula and started moving it around, popping and sizzling with a satisfying crack. Her father placed a large steamer behind Lily's pot of veggies, turning the burner on to high before stepping back to watch his daughter.

Lily expertly flipped the light green vegetables, dark green when cooked. The smell of garlic and salt filled the air, along with a slight scent of pork. 

Lily's mother's last parting gift before passing was her extreme gift for cooking traditional Chinese foods. The only thing wrong with it was that they didn't have anyone to share it with.

Well, not for long at least. 

While Lily had been playing music with Luka, he had asked her to come to his house/boat for a get-together for Kitty Section, his sister's band and all the member's friends.

When all the food was done, Lily and her father packed it all into containers and put it in a box along with a couple cartons of cooked rice to be brought and eaten later.

Author's Note:

I recently learned how to make this and I swear the oil touching your hands hurts like hell.