15

Lily walked to school the next day, head cast down and hair covering her face. Everyone stared at her, not with worry, but with malicious curiosity. No one wished her to feel better. They wanted to know why the famous Lily Richards was feeling down. 

As Lily climbed the steps up to her seat near the window, Adrien glanced over at her from his conversation with Nino. his gaze was filled with worry and e was conflicted. Should he go talk to her or leave her to her own thoughts? 

His legs were moving, unsure where he was headed. It then clicked that he was walking up to Lily. Adrien panicked for a second. Why was he doing this?!

"Hey," He managed to get out before the insecurity got to hi. "Whatcha doing?" Lily glanced up. Her facial expressions were normal enough, but her eyes held a strange sadness. She lifted the corners of her lips up in a small smile. 

"Nothing much." She continued to stare at him, and Adrien started to feel the awkward tension between them. He rubbed the back of his neck. "What's up with you?" The words pierced the silence. 

"Nothing much." They both looked away again. "Well, I guess I'll see you around?" Lily looked down, suddenly looking even more sorrowful than before. 

"Yeah," She said so quietly. Adrien had to lean closer to hear her. When she didn't say anything more he turned around to go back to his seat. "See you around." He didn't hear those words. 

The sudden burst of coldness Marinette had showed Lily had stayed stuck in her mind the entire afternoon, even as she tried to shake it off, think about something else, do something else. She couldn't help but wonder, why did everyone she regarded as a friend turn on her the first chance they got? Marinette hadn't necessarily turned on her, but Lily had never had any friends before. She didn't know what to do. If Lily took a personality test, it would come up 100% introverted. As she sighed and got the homework from the night before out, Marinette scrambled into the room, hair ruffled, clothes out of place, and her bag snapping shut on its own. As the midnight-haired girl fixed the two small pigtails on the back of her head, Lily narrowed her eyes. 

Marinette's hair was exactly the same as the ladybug patterned suited lady that had so rudely come to her the day before. Her eyes were the same, her figure, not to mention her hair. It was a miracle no one had recognized her yet. Sighing, she shook her head. 

Lily knew of the two superheroes said to defend Paris, and she did not doubt it. But she had yet to see the male one, Cat Noir. From what she had heard, he was quite the flirt. 

As the teacher clapped her hands and the class quieted, Lily sighed. Her day would undoubtedly be long and tiring, she would be miserable at the end of it. 

Marinette was late, as usual. When she almost knocked the door down on her way into the classroom, she straightened her hair and clothes from the short, speedy run from her family bakery to the school. She stood up, already searching for the one face who she was hopelessly in love with, the one plastered across ads all over Paris, and the world. 

Then she noticed the peculiar expression of one Lily Richards, up at the back of the classroom. Her eyes were narrowed in dangerous suspicion. Marinette shrugged it off and plopped her bag down next to Alya. 

"hey, girl." She greeted, like she did every morning. "Sleep in again? Girl, it's like you stay up all night running around Paris." Marinette chuckled nervously, because that's exactly what she did. Nightly patrols with Cat Noir was essential if they were going to be on high alert for any akumas Hawk Moth might release while they were asleep. 

Miss Boustier clapped her hands, and the day started its slow crawl.