7

Lily walked up the steps to her home, grabbing a protein bar before rushing up to her large room to retreive her small, leather-bound journal and her guitar. She stuffed the journal into her bag, and slung her guitar strap across her shoulder so that the guitar was laying across flat across her back with the neck facing the ground.

"Be right back, Dad!" She called out to the seemingly empty house before shutting the large door behind her.

While making her way to the park, Lily pulled out a pencil and her trusty journal, opening it up to the next blank page. She read over what she had already, humming to the words written, and writing occasional new ones when they floated across her mind. 

Lily could smell the dirt and sweat that came from joggers and the smell of the many bushes and trees around the park, she could hear the chatter of the people, the crying of the children, and everything else. She noticed everything.

Well, almost everything.

What she didn't notice was the dark haired teenager that also held a guitar, staring at her from the other edge of the park. he watched her as she walked across the grass, approaching a vacated bench and plopping herself down on it, all without looking up from her work. he watched her eyebrows furrow as she thought, and how she would stick her tongue out when she couldn't think of a word or phrase that she liked.

The boy slowly stood up from where he was sitting and started walking in her direction even slower than he did standing up. As he neared he could hear the beautifully blessed voice, humming out note after note after note after note, somehow layering them on top of each other as she brought her guitar around to start strumming chords and plucking pitches.

her voice entranced him, and since her face was covered by the stray hair that usually fell in her eyes, he didn't recognize her until it was too late.

He touched her shoulder gently, interrupting her song. Her reaction wasn't the best. She jumped up and yelped, bringing her guitar down on him and almost hitting the poor boy. He dodged just in time, but he wouldn't be able to dodge the scolding he would receive from her to be more polite when greeting people and not scaring the living daylights out of them.

Instead of speaking in French like any other regular civilian, she started speaking in rapid Mandarin, her pitch changing with each word and making her seem like one of those stereotypical Chinese moms, screaming scoldings about the tiniest things.

And that's basically what Lily was doing.

Once she had calmed down, and the flurry of words the boy couldn't understand had stemmed, she breathed in deeply and closed her eyes.

"Okay. Who are you?" Was the question that came out of her mouth.

"Umm... My name us Luka, and I heard you singing, and wanted to compliment you on it. But, it's only now that I'm realizing that you're Lily Richards and of course you're singing is awesome."

"Okay. Why did you scare me like that?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to." Lily invited him to sit with her, and they stopped talking after that. Lily brought her guitar back against her chest and started strumming, while eyeing Luka's guitar and willing him to play it.

Luka caught her gaze and followed it, landing on his guitar which was still out and ready to play.

They didn't need words to explain what they wanted from each other. It started out soft, slow strumming with the occasional plucking, but it started to escalate. They added verses, then the pre-chorus, then the chorus, and as Lily hit that first note, she started to harmonize with Luka, using her uncanny ability to pick out the right notes to bring out the best sounds in the already existing notes. It was beautiful, and the other people in the park noticed that too. They were attracted to the angelic sound, and gathered a crowd in no time. People were pulling out their phones to take videos, for they recognized the celebrities voice and face.

The song flourished to an end, going up and down and all around before landing on its final note.