14

Never in Marinette's life had she seen a superhero that wasn't a known Miraculous holder (to Marinette, at least. No one knew their identities except her and Master Fu.) so, of course, when she saw the mysterious white-clad figure she had to transform and investigate. As the red suit with black spots that felt so natural to her appeared, she ran out from behind the wall. Ladybug swung her yo-yo so that it wrapped around a far off chimney, swinging herself up with it. The force yanked her body up with a slightly painful bend, but Ladybug ignored it and instead crouched down to spy on the white-clad figure with a relaxed posture sitting on a roof two roofs down. 

What Marinette didn't know, however, is that the bright red of her suit contrasted greatly against the grey of the sidewalks, and The Swan could see the red blur before she even emerged from the wall. Courtesy to the pink glow that came with transforming. Now she was tensed and ready to pounce as soon as the first swing from Ladybug's yo-yo came. 

Ladybug knew this was the mysterious vigilante from the other day. She knew the superheroine was most likely not trying to hurt anybody. She knew the what she did was uncalled for and dangerous. 

Yet she did it anyways. 

She swung her arm back, carrying her yo-yo with it, and then throwing it forward, wrapping the indestructible string around the woman's middle, trapping her arms to her side. 

The Swan's legs wrapped around the chimney she was seated upon, and as Ladybug tried to pull her back, she found she couldn't, that The Swan was just too strong. The Swan sat there, stiff as a board, and waited for Ladybug to come to her. When the bug didn't, Swan bent her legs inward, tucking them under her tied up body in order to stand up. She took deep, calming breaths as she went, tensing her muscles so that Ladybug still couldn't pull her back.

As Swan stood up, Ladybug was pulled towards The Swan. 

She dug her feet into the ground, dragging her body along the dirty rooftops as The Swan in turn dragged her body even closer. 

"Who are you?" Ladybug said as she pulled herself up from the ground. 

The Swan did not speak for a moment, her back stiff straight and facing away from Ladybug. Then, ever so slowly, her head turned and Ladybug could see the indent for her left eye. She did not talk, but she did communicate.

"I am The Swan..." came the whispering voice on the wind. It was so quiet, Ladybug could barely hear it. She strained her ears to see if there was anymore, but while she was distracted the strings of Ladybug's yo-yo fell away from The Swan's body, leaving her free to fall gracefully from the rooftop. 

As Ladybug rushed to look over the edge, see if she was still there, she saw nothing, just a small, white sash fluttering in the wind. 

"Yo, Marinette! Where you been?" Nino exclaimed as said girl trudged back onto the houseboat the get-together had been hosted on. 

She gave a watery, fake smile and said, "I forgot I had to do something, but I'm back now." Nino, used to the excuses, just shrugged and turned away. Marinette walked over to Alya, who was typing on her phone as Marinette plopped down next to her. 

"What are you doing, Alya?" Marinette peeked over her shoulder onto her phone, and immediately looked away. She was writing about The Swan on the Ladyblog. Of course, Alya didn't know she called herself that yet, but Marinette had a feeling she would in time. 

"I'm writing about that new hero that was here yesterday. I don't know what to call her. Is it bad that I can't wait for the next akuma attack to I can maybe catch her name and film some more?" 

Marinette smiled, albeit a little sadly. "It's not bad. You're waiting for action, right? We all are sometime." Marinette wondered if that was whys he overreacted earlier. She had so badly wanted something to happen, something other than Lily Richards, Adrien Agreste, and Luka Couffaine. She sighed. Luka was across the boat, talking with his sister Juleka and playing absentmindedly on his guitar. 

How she wished she could just forget about her love life for a day.

The Swan ran lightly across a lower rooftop, adjacent to the roof she had been on with Ladybug, and then finally stopped, two blocks from her house. As she dropped into an alley unceremoniously, she flipped and landed as Lily Richards. Her striped backpack on her back, earbuds still in place, music picking up from where it left off, and about twenty messages from Luka, two from her dad. She answered both of them, and whilst doing so received a text from Adrien. He asked if she could talk to him, and that he was bored, his father had forbidden him from going out today. 

Lily was sad for her new-found friend, and wanted to make him feel better. But she was inexperienced in that field and did not know what to do. She was helpless, so she started off back to her house and did at least one thing for him. She talked to him the entire way, joking and laughing about the most random things. 

Author's Note:

I know I said this chapter would be 1000 words, but 900 is good, right? At least for now. I had lost inspiration for this, and needed some time to get it back. I think it's back, and hoping to churn out a lot more chapters in the near future. :)

-Lily