24 | Broken

DAYS after the death of her brother, Jessica had not left her mother's house

It didn't matter if the world was on fire, she did not leave under any circumstances. The only time she left the house was to attend the world funeral the military held.

She remembered all of their faces, how they cried as if they knew Clark all their lives. She saw familiar faces; faces they've saved over the years. They were mourning the loss of a great hero as well and a part of Jessica felt touched. Touched that her brother impacted the lives of so many.

"FIRE!" The ranking officer ordered the soldiers, who was in operation of the cannon, to pull back on the lever. Jessica walked the rainy street of Metropolis with a limp that day, her suit not present on her body. What she wore was a regular black knee length dress with the S emblem drawn on in white.

Her mother, Martha, tried to get her to show her condolences for an empty casket in her old suit but that proved pointless when Jessica threw it in the trash. Jessica stood in front of the soldier with dull eyes, her wet hair, from the rain, sticking to her face.

He completed an about face to grab the finished triangle folded flag and did another about face to complete it. He held his hands out for Jessica to grab the flag but she stared at his name tag, reading the words, Jordan, over and over again. "Hold out your hands, ma'am." The soldier whispered, breaking his stoic look to look at her with sympathetic eyes.

"My apologies." She mumbled, holding her hands out.

"I'm sorry for your loss." He whispered, placing the flag in her palms and saluting her. "He's a true hero."

Jessica brought her hand up to salute him back. "He was." When she released her salute, Jessica pulled the flag to her heart. Unmoving, she stared off ahead again.

A shadow of an umbrella shrouded over her, stopping the rain from pelting over her. General Calvin Swatenick placed his hand on Jessica's shoulder. "Come on Superwoman, Major Farris will show you to the car."

Jessica sucked in a deep breath and looked up to the general, her blue eyes glossed over. "You're burying an empty casket..." She mumbled. "How does that make sense to any of you?"

"He deserves something for the public to see."

"The public didn't deserve him." She grumbled.

"He was a fine soldier." Swatenick spoke. "This is all we know how to remember him by. As a soldier."

Jessica clenched her fists angrily around the flag, nails digging into the palms of her skin. The tender flesh broke on impact, blood dripping down her arms. "He wasn't a soldier; he was my brother." She hissed, not looking at the General. "Saving the people of the world was his choice, not his obligation like we thought it was."