14 | Everything

THE next few weeks, Jessica awoke differently than she usually did and there was one word to describe it

Disturbed.

She went to work as quiet as a mouse, not bothering to make a snarky remark to Doug. She even walked past and paid Chris ten dollars for a bet she lost without a complaint.

Perry, who has never seen Jessica act the way she is now, has clearly had enough. "J.G. Wentworth, my office, now!" Everyone in the office watched Jessica get up while brushing off lint from her black vest. Clark was even starting to become worried about his quick-witted sister. When she entered Perry's office, he stared at her in surprise. "No comeback?" He asked, closing his office door.

"No?"

Meanwhile, Lois, Clark, and the rest of the office rushed over to the door to listen in. "What do you think is happening?" Sheilah asked Lois who pressed her ear against the door.

"I don't know."

Perry took off his glasses, pointing them at her. "These last two weeks you've been nothing but quiet, obedient, and cooperative."

Jess looked at him confused. "Is that bad?"

"I don't know, you tell me. This isn't like you." He waved his glasses around to emphasize her behavior. "Anything else you want to spring out on me?"

Puffing out her cheeks in preparation for what she was about to say, she let stood up straighter. "I'm dropping the Batman story."

Perry stared at her, flabbergasted. "The Batman story?!"

The office gasped outside the door. "The Batman story!" Perry walked over to the door, opening it as Sheilah, Clark, and Lois fell on top of each other. The rest of the office scattered. Lois rolled off Clark's back and rushed off with the rest of the office.

Sheilah, on the other hand, was begging for mercy. "Clark..." She wheezed. "Clark you're warping my spinal cord!" He got to his feet, pulling Sheilah up with a string of apologies before he led her out of Perry's office.

He closed the door with a raise of his blood pressure. "Listen, Jess, over the years I've known you, you've never dropped a story unless I've made you. What's going on?"

"There's nothing wrong."

Perry stared at Jess with narrow eyes. "You're not dropping the story, I didn't hire a quitter."

"Perry!"

"Fine!" He huffed. "For whatever reason, you're dropping the story, I'll support it."

"Thank you." She nodded.

She walked over to the door, opening it to see half the office fall on top of each other once again "Ow! Chris, your elbow is digging into my ribcage!" Sasha gasped.