5 | Shadows

A couple of nights after the Gala, Bruce made his way into the Batcave while grumbling to himself

He had lost the biggest piece of evidence that was going to help him with this, what seemed like, impossible puzzle. It set him back even farther from finding the White Portuguese. Sitting in his chair, he ran a hand through his graying hair and looked at the blank screen in deep thought.

To his annoyance, his mind wandered to the reporter that he wanted to dance with earlier in the evening. Not expecting her to be so sassy and snarky but did it with some type of class and modesty for her surroundings.

He could tell she was tired from the way she tried to hide the obvious dark bags from under her eyes. Besides the fact that she looked amazing in that blue dress, he just couldn't conclude why she was so guarded. It annoyed the detective that he couldn't read her as he does with other people, she's a harder puzzle.

Of course, he was not one to judge. He dressed up as a giant bat every night and prowled around Gotham City. He could tell he was a little rude about how he approached her. He should have noticed the sound in her voice when they first met each other.

She sounded so unimpressed. He was usually one to read people so easily, but he was just off his game. Most likely from the number of drinks he had after he lost his hard drive to that woman in the red dress. The headache was just setting in as Bruce typed away at his keyboard with speed.

Jessica Kent was what found its way into the search bar. He was curious about who this woman was, big time. His current relationship with Selina Kyle was starting to become almost painful, so did what he always did, ghosted her just like she did him.

The loss of Robin and struggling with the amount of work from Wayne Inc. to being Bruce Wayne and Batman were starting to take a toll on this withering man.

Although he wouldn't trade being Batman for the world, he just wished he could drop Bruce Wayne. That little boy died along with his parents all those years ago. The computer came up with only one result. Clicking on her file, he began to investigate curiously. "Jessica Jolene Kent... graduate valedictorian of Smallville high?" He hummed in surprise. "Valedictorian? I'm impressed." He continued. "Graduated with a doctorate and head of class from the department of Science, human, and technology but a journalist at the Daily Planet?" He tapped his chin. "Why would you give up science for a journalist job? Not much to uncover about you is there?" Bruce mumbled to himself.

One thing that did surprise him was her birth certificate. 

April 18th, 1980. The day the Meteor showers happened in Smallville, her hometown. He decided to do some more digging, maybe there was more than what he thinks. He typed in exactly that: Smallville Meteor Showers, 1980. Multiple files popped up onto his screen as Bruce began to click onto them.

TEEN GIRL MORPHS INTO THE BODY OF LIONEL LUTHER.

LESLIE WILLIS BLAMES SMALLVILLE METEOR SHOWER FOR LOW RATINGS. TRIES TO KILL LIONEL LUTHER.