13 | Complicated

BRUCE rubbed the back of his neck in frustration

He hadn't made a dent and still had a couple more files left to go. He scrolled a couple more times until he eventually found pictures and locations of a ship, harbored right in Gotham. After doing some research, he concluded that what he has been looking for wasn't even human to begin with.

He checks around the cave to find Alfred fiddling with the Batmobile's engine. "The white Portuguese is not a man." He spoke, crossing his arms while leaning against one of the worktables. "It's a ship."

Alfred waited for Bruce to continue before furrowing his brows. "Master Wayne, since the age of seven, you have been to the art of deception as Mozart to the harpsichord. But you have never been too hot of lying to me. The White Portuguese is not carrying a dirty bomb. What is it carrying?"

Bruce took in a deep breath before moving closer to Alfred. "It's a weapon. It is a rock, a mineral, capable of weakening Kryptonian cells. The first sample was big enough to mean something, turned up in the Indian Ocean three months ago. It is now aboard the White Portuguese being delivered to Lex Luthor." He paused for a second. "Who I am going to steal it from.

"To keep it out of Luthor's hands?" Alfred asked with his arms crossed. "To destroy it." When Bruce's face remained unchanged, Alfred knew it was a different intention.

"No." Bruce responded.

Alfred took a step closer with his eyes narrowed in confusion. "You're going to go to war?"

"Those sons of bitches brought the war to us, two years ago." Bruce growled angrily. "Jesus, Alfred, count the dead, thousands of people. What's next? Millions?" He asked with his eyebrows scrunched down. "They have the power to wipe out the entire human race and if we believe there is even a 1% chance that they are our enemy, we have to take it as an absolute certainty. And we have to destroy them."

"But they are not our enemy!" Alfred argued as best he could. He needed to snap the man he calls son out of this angry rage towards the twins before it was too late. He knows Bruce has made bad calls before, he knows his son was not always like this. It happened with Joker after Robin was killed.

Bruce only shook his head, not bothering to listen to Alfred's reasoning. "Not today." He gave a small smirk. "20 years in Gotham, Alfred. We've seen what promises are worth. How many good guys are left? How many stayed that way?"

Alfred looked down at the floor for a second, looping his fingers behind his back. "Is Madam Kent going to agree with Batman's course of action?"

Bruce froze at his words. "I'm doing this for her and the rest of the world." He insisted over his shoulder. "She's already lost her father; I don't want her to lose more people who are close to her because they decide to make a wrong choice."

Alfred pursed his lips. "So, you think she is unable to make her own decisions?"

"That isn't what I'm saying."