15 | Tantrum

EVERYTHING was dark, darker than the pale moonlight

Jessica stood in the center of a broken field, things were scattered around her, buildings, animals, bodies.

She tried to walk forward, maybe if she could get somewhere, she could get answers. That plan was cut short when she heard crunching bones with nothing in front of her. "Like what I've done with the place?" A voice asked from in front of her.

"What did you do?" She rasped slowly, raising her head to meet with the eyes of Lex Luthor.

The white business suit he wore with black leather gloves was supposed to show purity, durability, faith but in Jessica's eyes, it showed nothing but destruction.

The key feature that caught her attention was a glowing green saber in his right hand, the way the sky was red, and millions of beast-like creatures roaming around the bared buildings.

"Have you ever heard of the story of Pyrrha of Thessaly?" Lex questioned pointing the saber directly at Jessica. "Well, when Zeus decided to end the Bronze Age with the great deluge, Deucalion and his wife, Pyrrha, were the only survivors. Even though he was imprisoned, Prometheus, who could see the future and had foreseen the coming of this flood told his son, Deucalion, to build an ark and, thus, they survived. During the flood, they landed on Mount Parnassus, the only place spared by the flood." He explained, walking closer to the black-haired alien.

"Now once the deluge was over and the couple were on land again, Deucalion consulted an oracle of Themis about how to repopulate the earth. He was told to throw the bones of his mother behind his shoulder. Deucalion and Pyrrha understood the "mother" to be Gaia, the mother of all living things, and the "bones" to be rocks. They threw the rocks behind their shoulders, which soon began to lose their hardness and change form. Their mass grew greater, and the beginnings of human form emerged. The parts that were soft and moist became skin, the veins of the rock became people's veins, and the hardest parts of the rocks became bones. The stones thrown by Pyrrha became women; those thrown by Deucalion became men."

Jessica watched Lex circle her like prey, she could feel the blade of the sword against her back, to her hip, pressed it into her stomach for a moment, then repeated the cycle. "You see, the story of Deucalion and Pyrrha has also been retold in the Roman poet Ovid's famous collection Metamorphoses. In this retelling, Jove, who is like the Roman equivalent of Zeus, takes pity on the couple, recognizing them to be devout worshipers. He parts the clouds and ends the deluge specifically to save Deucalion and Pyrrha, who are floating aimlessly on a raft. When the storm has cleared and the waters have subsided, Deucalion and Pyrrha are taken aback by the desolate wreckage of the land and understand that they are now responsible for repopulating the earth. Confused on how to carry out their destiny, they go to see the goddess Themis, Themis tells Pyrrha that she must cast the bones of her mother to successfully reproduce. Pyrrha is distraught at the idea of desecrating her mother's honor by digging up her bones. She needed to use fire and water, fire from the demons above, and the water from the blood of innocents. Because when heat and moisture blend in due balance, they conceive: these two, these are the origin of everything. Though fire and water fight, humidity and warmth create all things; that harmony."