The desire to be there for you➪𝟸𝟻

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter talks about rape.
————————————————-
-IRIS POV-
Flashback to a year ago

Mascara ran down her pale cheeks like a river, her light brown hair was a mess, her green orbs were filled with tears, she was trembling, crying with nothing less than a broken heart. All I could feel was her heavy despair and her stifling misery. I didn't have a clue what was bringing about such great pain but in my heart I knew that she needed me.

She called my name in agony over and over like an echo, "Iris...Iris! Iris! Iris, I-I-" she couldn't get a sentence out as her sunken face was covered with disconsolate tears and snot. "No, no, no. Iris!" She was a wreck, screaming my name like a broken record, struggling to breath as her anguish suffocated her.

"Jo, it's okay. You can tell me." I needed to know, she was distraught, My best friend was suffering and there was nothing that I could do...

How do you comfort an inconsolable person?

You can't.

You can only try.

Jo screamed, cried, bawled, bellowed, shrieked. Her woe possessed the ambience, leaving no place for us to breath,I wanted to help her but she couldn't tell me what was distressing her this much. So I just hugged her, taking notice of her immense weight loss, my arms tightly wrapped around her slim figure as she cried into my chest whilst we rested on her bed.

At some point, Jo stopped crying and we just laid in utter silence.

"Iris..." Jo whispered my name.

"Hm?"

"They..."

"They what?" I urged Jo to finish her sentence.

"They..."

"They what, jo? They what?"

"They...raped me." She mumbled, unleashing these cursed words onto me before falling into a deep slumber.

My heart dropped at the regretful news, tears streamed down the sides of my face yet I refused to make any noise as I bit down on my lip until it bled. Loaded rage squeezed my heart mercilessly.

Who did this to her?

Slightly whimpering, I whispered into the sleeping girls ear, "I will never let anyone hurt you again, Jo. I promise."

I held my traumatised best friend securely in my arms until I too, fell asleep.