The desire that i have to beat you (part 2)➪𝟽

10 days... 10 days have past since we completed our test and now the day that coincidentally scares and excites people has finally arrived...

We sit in our seats, waiting for the teacher to call our names so we can collect our tests.

I'm unnervingly eager today, this emotion has never erupted in me before. Maybe it's because I actually tried this time? I set aside half an hour a day for all 7 of my subjects an revised until I knew everything inside out.

When we did the test, I flew through the test like a bird. I finished each individual test with so much ease I wondered if I had ended up doing everything wrong.

Sat beside me, Roselina had nervous but determined eyes.

"She must have done well" I thought to myself.

"Iris," my teacher called my name in a slightly proud tone, "See, effort really does pay off huh? You've done so well, any other teacher would have assumed you cheated somehow." She smiled at me.

Is this the feeling you get when someone appreciates your ability? In that moment she felt more like a mother to me than the actual woman who gave birth to me.

"Thank you."I replied, flustered and grinning from ear to ear.

I sat back in my seat to review my grades;
English lit- Grade 9
English language- Grade 9
Maths- Grade 9 (115/120 marks)
Geography- Grade 9 (47/50 marks)
French- Grade 8 (60/75 marks)
History- Grade 9 (70/75 marks)
Science- Grade 9 (68/70 marks)

Wow! Even I'm a little shocked, I've always got one of the better scores in our class but aside from French I probably did the best in our class, no maybe even the entire year group, in almost each subject! I smirked, pleased with myself.

However, I shouldn't get to excited, it's possible that Roselina exceeded all my expectations.
"Roselina." Mrs called out her name.

I impatiently waited for Roselina to get back to her seat. She walked to the desk so gracefully, like something you'd see in a movie.

Mrs spoke to her for around a minute after handing Roselina her tests, I couldn't tell what about...

"She must have done really well..." I thought to myself. Roselina walked back to her seat, tests clutched to her chest and her face made an unreadable expression.

She sat down and before I could get a word out she face planted onto the table.

Startled, I flinched. "Are you okay?" Those caring words left my mouth before my brain could comprehend it. " I mean... How did you do?" I asked nervously.

Roselina lifted her head of the table slowly, her exquisite, long hair covering her face... "Roselina?" I gently called out her name.

Her face suddenly turned towards me, tears strolling down her face, her eyes were red and she was biting down on her bottom lip in order to muffle any crying noises.

My heart felt a slight tear.She looked so inconsolable. Compassion filled my body, "You can't have done that bad..."I awkwardly laughed in a joke of an attempt to break the intoxicating atmosphere.

She's probably a smart student, in fact she's probably one of those people who get 90% on a test and cry about how horribly they did whilst complimenting others who got a mere 37%.

Slowly, she slides her papers to me, they were facing upside down. I turn them over and my soul left my body for a moment.

Shock was the only expression that could be read on my face, my eyes were so wide open they could have easily fallen out of my eye sockets, my mouth was hanging wide open like it was awaiting for flies to arrive.

I flicked through her papers, maybe it was marked wrong? No... No she really is....

An idiot.

Roselina's test grades;
English lit- Grade 2
English language- Grade 3
Maths- Grade 2 (23/120 marks)
Geography- Grade 4 (20/50 marks)
Music- Grade 8
Art- Grade 7
Science- Grade 1 (5/70 marks)

——-
Authors note: in order to refrain from offending anyone, I would like to say that Iris (the mc) and I have different views on test grades. She's a naturally smart student who isn't easily impressed, I myself couldn't live up to her standards.

*Grade 9 is the best you can get and grade 1 is the worst(fail) or a U (ungraded)*